AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using the LT150 for a week or so in my living room for day to day TV watching (via Tivo and HDTV.) I've also watched two complete movies so far. Up until tonight I have been using a DVDO iScan Pro to scale the Tivo and DVD to 480P.

The scaling was OK with the iScan, but there were lots and lots of edge jaggies, especially on curved surfaces. What should have been relatively sharp lettering on the Tivo menus came out very dithered and "digital" looking.

Tonight I hooked up my HTPC to the projector. I use a geforce card at the native rate of 1024x768 at 60hz. For DVD's I used WinDVD. For S-video (the Tivo) I used dScaler. The image from the HTPC is so much better than from the iScan it's not funny. DVD's especially look very smooth and artifact free.

I don't think the LT150 does a particularly good job of scaling up from 480P. I notice the same artifacts when I use 480P from a Pioneer DV37 as I do with the iScan. Going to the projector's native rate with the HTPC is a very great leap in image quality. I presume the same thing would be true for a scaler that can put out the 1024x768 signal.

Using a 480P DVD player is OK as a stopgap measure, but I strongly urge LT150 users to try an HTPC or a scaler in order to really eliminate some very nasty scaling artifacts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for the info. I was wonder how good the LT150 scaler was and I was trying to decide to get a Iscan or a Quadscan now that I saw your review on the matter I think I will get a Tview Quadscan. I'm about to get an LT154 and wonder if this unit has a bad scaler or do all NEC projectors have bad scalers? Also has anyone used a Quadscan on any NEC projectors and how does it look?

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
Jim,

Why were you using the DVDO to scale the DVD image instead of the DVD's progressive scan output? I have a 38a and really don't notice a big difference between HTPC & the DVD progressive output. I also use a DVDO for watching TV and have wondered if DScaler would be a big improvement for watching nonHDTV(satellite).

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Randall,

It was mostly for convenience. I was using the iScan mainly with the Tivo. I only watched one movie with the DVD+iScan. I noticed the same scaling problems when going direct from the DVD player at 480P as I did when going through the iScan however.

Using the HTPC at 1024x768 was much better than either the iScan+DVD or using the 480P direct from the DVD player.

Tim,

I'm not sure I would say the LT150 has a "bad scaler." It's probably par for the course. It does the job, but it's not up to the quality that an external scaler such as the QS or an HTPC can provide.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using the Pinnacle PCTV. I think I paid $40 for it. It works OK, but I do get a little bit of horizontally moving noise with it when using the s-video input.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Well I'm running my 150 with a Panny RP91 and am getting a beautiful picture. No artifacts or noise of any type.

HTPC is something I'll try down the road but right now I don't see the need. I want to keep this plug 'n play as much as possible right now.

------------------

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lou,

By all means, if you don't see scaling artifacts, don't go looking for them http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The 480P scaling artifacts did not make the programming unwatchable. They were certainly noticeable to me though, and I knew it had to be possible to remove them. Since I had the HTPC available, I hooked it up, and the scaling artifacts were completely gone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jim,

So how did normal cable and/or DBS programming look with the LT150 using the IScan+? Is there a noticeable improvement over the stand-alone 150?

I would also be interested in hearing more about the QuadScan with this projector.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
So how did normal cable and/or DBS programming look with the LT150 using the IScan+?
I haven't really spent any time plugging the s-video from satellite or Tivo into the LT150. I only used the iScan.

With the 480P iScan I was seeing a lot of dithering and aliasing on edges and computer-generated text such as the DSS and Tivo menus. It was harder to see with program material, but once you start seeing it, it's very difficult to ignore. The HTPC with the DScaler software is a huge improvement.

I have used a Quadscan with my CRT projector experimentally, but had a very bad experience with it. It was very flaky and tempermental. When it worked it looked OK, but it had a terrible time syncing whenever the inputs were changed.

[This message has been edited by Jim Ferguson (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
Registered
118 Posts
I believe that the Quadscan should do better than the Iscan. The Iscan does not have an scaler(am I correct?) Where the Quadscan does. Also I've read the the Quadscan Elite was design more for LCD and DLP type projectors (according to FOCUS specs). I just purchase the Quadscan Elite and as soon as I get it I let you know the results. I don't have an LT150 but I am getting an LT154(LCD).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.