Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have recently purchased a Sharp 9000.

Since I currently use a pioneer 717 (no YUV) with svideo connection I would like to know what you think would be best to improve picture quality:

DENON 2800 (progressive scan)

scaler Iscanpro(DVDO)

they cost about the same but I don't know wich one will improve the picture the best.

Advantage of the scaler is that I could improve DVD picture as well as TV and video games (through my VCR)

Has anyone been testing the scaler with the sharp ?

Thanks in advance !

Best Regards,

Erik

Erik

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hi Erik,

I have both a progressive scan DVD player and an HTPC set to output at 720p.

The absolute best picture quality is with the HTPC, outputting 720p, but the progressive scan DVD player is very close.

The Sharp's internal CIVIC scalar is pretty good, it's its deinterlacing that is quite poor. I see a very good image when using the RP82 via component cables in progressive mode. If I turn off progressive mode and let the Sharp do the deinterlacing, the picture quality noticeably degrades.

The RP82 in progressive mode is so good I've been using it lately instead of futzing around with my HTPC, but the HTPC is better.

As for the Denon 2800, I personally I think spending large amounts of money on DVD players is silly (not quite as silly as exotic stereo cables, but almost), considering how great cheap players are now. The RP82 uses Faroudja's chip to do the deinterlacing, and the picture is superb. You can find it for around $200 or less.

My recommendation is to purchase an RP82 from a retailer that has a 30 day return policy. Try it. I think you will notice a dramatic increase in picture quality going from s-video interlaced output to component progressive.

an Iscanpro is NOT a scaler. It is simply a line-doubler, AKA a device that turns an interlaced signal into a progressive signal. You are better off doing the de-interlacing in the digital domain of a good progressive scan DVD player and then feeding the signal directly to the Sharp 9000. With the iscan pro you are doing a digital to analog conversion, then putting another device in the signal path (the iscan pro) before it gets put back into digital inside the Sharp. Little things like this may not be noticeable on a direct view TV, but blow up the picture to 100" and you can see the difference.

A true scaler will take the 480 lines of the DVD signal and convert it to the 720 lines of the Sharp 9000. Scaling and deinterlacing are two separate processes. This is what an HTPC (home theater PC) does - it both deinterlaces AND scales the signal before sending it to the sharp, and does both tasks in the digital domain. For the same price as a Denon 2800 or Iscanpro you can build an HTPC and have superior picture quality to either of those devices. Look at the HTPC forum for more details.

One last alternative is a Faroudja NRS, which accomplishes about the same thing as an HTPC but it's very pricey. The advantage to an NRS would be you don't have to fool with an HTPC. The disadvantage to an HTPC is that you've again placed another device in the signal path between the DVD player and the projector.

Frankly all these scalers and deinterlacers will be unnecessary very soon when we have DVI-out DVD players coupled to DVI-in projectors that have excellent on-board scaling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your answer.

I was not aware of such a player.

My concern is that since you live in the US you are only concerned with NTSC progressive scan (region 1 dvd and NTSC signals for tv), but in Europe we have Pal signal to worry about.

Meaning that with your mentionned dvd player, I will not have PAL progressive scan.

HTPC is out of question (for practical reason).

So I have to find a dvd player that do progressive scan for BOTH signals. The Denon 2800 can do this. I must look whether I find another player that do both.

I might then leave aside the iscanpro issue.

About DVI, I do not know if the sharp9000 will accept them, I think it will but you will have to add a module to it...

Thanks anyway,

Erik

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hi Erik,

I'm curious - what country do you live in?

The Sharp 9000 does not have DVI and I don't think there's a module you can add to make it do DVI. Its successor the Z10000 does have DVI, however.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

I am from Switzerland.

Anyway if I can get progressive scan picture with my sharp and a new DVD player I will be more than happy.

Regards,

Erik

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.