AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the effect of adjusting picture settings (brightness, contrast, etc. ) on the scalers output vs. at the projector itself. I notice that a lot of the DVD material I watch seems to be darker than I would expect, leading me to want to up the picture settings on my projector to a fairly high level. In viewing the output adjustments on my scaler, they all seem to be set at a default midrange level. Which is the better place to adjust, and more importantly, does it matter and why?

Scaler -- Crystal Image

PJ --Sony G-70

Room is totally light controlled.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Moe,

Your projector should be set up for proper gray scale prior to any input device being set up on the unit. That will give you the proper level of white, black and everything in between. This should be done with the contrast and brightness on your G70 projector set at perscribed levels (check the manual). The G-70 has it's own test patterns for this. You can do this by eye or have someone come in with the proper instrumentation and set it up correctly.

Once this has been accomplished you have a known reference, the G-70 and you can adjust the Crystal Image so that it is now producing the correct gray scale using one of the reference DVD's like AVIA as a guide and make any minor tweeks to the CI settings.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.