AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through several posts, I'm starting to think that there's not a whole lot of benefit in using a scaler with DirecTV since most of the issues with the DirecTV picture are due to compression artifacts. Is this an accurate inference? Will there be *any* picture improvement running DirecTV through a scaler? And is that improvement worth the price of a scaler?

I currently have DirecTV and am looking at purchasing a CRT based rear projection HD TV. I watch a lot of racing on SpeedVision and other channels that aren't offered in HD on DirecTV. So a lot of what I would be watching would be SD programming. I was looking at purchasing a scaler along with the TV as a way of improving the quality of the SD programming. It seems that scalers don't provide a whole lot of beneift with DirecTV, though.

Any thoughts or input are appreciated.

David

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Will there be an improvement, yes

Will the improvement be worth the price of the scaler, probably not in my opinion.

Of course that doesnt mean its not worth it to you

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
Will there be an improvement, yes

Will the improvement be worth the price of the scaler, probably not in my opinion.

Of course that doesnt mean its not worth it to you
I was also wondering about this myself Daniel. I already purchased a Focus Centerstage CS-HD for this purpose for my plasma but also in the hopes of getting improved picture quality with my analog VCR recordings. Will this unit help to improve these? Thanks!

-Mike.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
For a plasma its different. I think that a scaler can make a big difference in Plasma. In a FP, Standard definition will only be improvemented slightly with a scaler. In respect to your scaler Mike, I would go with a scaler that would output the resolution of your plasma not the standard resolutions that the CS-HD has. Of course the CS-HD should still make a difference

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
For a plasma its different. I think that a scaler can make a big difference in Plasma. In a FP, Standard definition will only be improvemented slightly with a scaler. In respect to your scaler Mike, I would go with a scaler that would output the resolution of your plasma not the standard resolutions that the CS-HD has. Of course the CS-HD should still make a difference
Thanks for the info Daniel. I was also concerned about the resolution compatibility issue concerning the CS-HD and my Plasma. According to the Focus website, the CS-HD supports 1024x1024 which matches my Plasma and I e-mailed Focus to confirm this. I received a response from Tech Support Engineer Michael Brown stating that 1024x1024 is listed as 1024L on the CS-HD Output Resolution Selection. I have not yet confirmed this, as I haven't had the time to hook it up yet. I plan to try it this weekend for sure!

-Mike.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a Pio 503 with the Faroudja NRS -- my family watches a fair amount of DirecTV - standard -- The scaler IMHO makes a big difference -- I have A/B tested it with Svideo in directly to the Plasma -- and scaled with 2 tivos.

It definitely makes a big difference -- I think also if you can go all digital through the scaler that you would get another bump in quality.

If I hadn't invested in the NRS 2 yrs ago -- I would be seriously looking at the KD -- to get an all digital signal path with native resolution on the Plasma

Michael

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am currently using a sony hd300 dvi but also since it outputs simultaneous I use the s cable thru my CS HD. I have a sony rptv WV700 and it does make quite a difference on many of the channels. So to answer the question does a scaler work with directv, yes it does, and depending on your monitor, it does very well.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
David,

You didn't post your location, so it is difficult to know if local HD channels are available in your area. I know that local HD channels in my are are not readily availble (I can't even get locals period with DirecTV right now), so I am looking at going with the MIT MDR-200 scaler. Not only does it scale many different sources, it also doubles as an OTA HDTV reciever. With a nice antenna, I'll be able to recieve HDTV stations from both the Buffalo and Syracuse, NY areas.

As far as I'm concerned, for the price, the MDR-200 is a great product. I'd love to look at the DVDO iScanHD, but I just can't justify that kind of expenditure to the wife. I've already bought a Hughes HDTV/DSS reciever and she scoffed at it claiming it 'didn't look much better than regular TV'. I say she's blind, but that's me. :D

Here's a link to the MDR-200 if you are interested.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...deo/mdr200.asp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.