AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of the manufacturers considered making a scaler with a built-in audio delay to maintain lip-sync? (FE???)

I understand that it might be dificult to fit a good quality analog audio delay inside a scaler but surely a digital delay (SPDIF in/out) could be built with one or two chips. It wouldn't need to have any user controls. It should automatically set the audio delay to match the video delay (depending on the operating mode of the scaler).

I believe that most HT enthusiasts would welcome this feature (even if it was an optional extra).

If this never happens then it would be nice if someone would market an affordable delay box. There is no good reason why I should have to pay several hundred dollars for a professional delay box to fix the lip-sync.

Of course, another option would be to put the delay in the surround processor (I believe that there are one or two that have it).

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Just my opinion, but I would never route all of my audio signals through a video scaler. Just one more box to degrade the audio quality or add noise. I believe the correct approach is to put the delay into the processor. Lexicon has provided this for many years on their processors. As you have discovered it is very awkward to use an after-market synch delay box, with a 5.1 system.

·
Registered
943 Posts
This function is typically implemented in high end surround processors. The Theta CB II has this feature for instance. Sound quality would suffer greatly if it were to be implemented in a scaler.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Quote:
Just my opinion, but I would never route all of my audio signals through a video scaler. Just one more box to degrade the audio quality or add noise.
But if you're talking about a digital audio stream, you shouldn't lose a drop of sound quality. Ain't nothing easier to process than a delay in the digital domain.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Quote:
But if you're talking about a digital audio stream, you shouldn't lose a drop of sound quality.
Yeah, and CD is perfect sound forever, CD/DVD transports all sound the same, all digital interfaces sound the same, etc. ;)

I think we're more likely to see this feature implemented in a de-jitter device like a Monarchy Audio DIP than a scaler. Realistically, I don't think there's going to be enough demand for the device to have anything that is reasonable in cost that won't degrade sound quality.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
MCG1969,

please explain how this would work if you have non-digital audio sources that are being routed through the video processor (vhs, DSS without digital out). In addition, in siutations where video switching is insufficient in the video processor many installation require you use the pre-pro for video switching. Many people still want to see the status overlay for volume and source adjustments of the processor. You would have to find a way of concommitantly running analog or digital audio out of the pre/pro, to the video processor and looped back into the pre/pro.

Like I said before, I think you are better off picking up a audio processor that provides this function.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.