AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i realize now that watching poor source material on a large, high-quality display like my fuji P50 is like listening to poor source material on a high-quality front-end - everything that's poor about the image or recording is made painfully clear.

i was watching "aliens", which, it turns out, is often a grainy transfer with quite a bit of posterizing both in some of the bright light shots, and in portions of peoples' faces (which can lack color detail, and are one color that appears almost painted).

my question is: will any of these effects be lessened in any way by the use of a good scaler like the soon-to-be-released KD Leeza? are any of these effects (even partially) the result of poor scaling by the display or DVD player?

assuming that at least some of the poor image quality of some film transfers is due to MPEG 2 compression, i am curious to understand if the interpolative power of a high-end scaling algorithm can add appropriate visual detail where there is little or none in the source data.

thanks for the help,

- jd

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
I doubt it will help. Calibration might help, though, to get better greyscale tracking.

·
Premium Member
8,104 Posts
GIGO - Garbage In, Garbage Out.

If it does help, it will be a miniscule addition to PQ.

Scalers are not magical, they don't make a bad transfer better. All they do is maximize how a transfer appears on your screen.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
john doran:

Tell me specifically where the offending scene is and I'll check it on my 503. I have a Faroudja NRS and don't notice this type of problem, but maybe it's too subtle and I don't notice it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jim,

well, for instance, there's the scene right after the marines are first decimated by the aliens and they're debating what to do in the armoured car; ripley wants to nuke the installation, and burke is saying that they can't because it's too expensive to destroy.

in those exchanges, the left side of burke's face and the right side of ripley's face have that posterized look, or whatever it is that it's called - a washed-out, one-color appearance.

the posterizing of the lights is a frequent problem throughout the movie, but is usually very brief as the places where it is evident do not involve static lights, but only fleeting moments as the lights pan through the darkness.

i just wonder if it's the movie or if it's the fuji that's (primarily) responsible; i'd hate to think it's the plasma, and doubt it only because it happens rarely in movies, and the regular TV cable signals that are full of it are fairly uncontroversially recognized as being of terrible quality...

thanks, jim - i appreciate the help.

- jd

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
john doran:

OK, I had a look on my system and the offending scene looks great, no problems whatsoever. As you say, the DVD is a little grainy, but otherwise it looks fine.

As was suggested by someone earlier in the thread, it may be because your panel isn’t calibrated properly. Other factors could include the player itself and possibly cables, although I doubt that one.

If you want, PM me and we can discuss it further. I have calibration equipment and might be able to help out.

·
Registered
32,174 Posts
Eziggy: That's the same question John is asked. The scalers he mentioned contain even higher end "line doublers" -- or deinterlacers as they are more properly called -- than the iScan.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.