AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 year old Runco tripler and a Runco 933 8" CRT projector. What would happen if I input a 580p DVD progressive scan into the tripler?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
A friend also has a Runco DTV-933. From reading the manuals, it seemed to us that the 933 processor will only take 480i. But we have no expertize in this matter.

We've been trying to figure out how to set up the 933 for high-definition sources -- 1080i or 720p. For SD and HD, a replacement for the 933 processor with an HD pass-through seems plausible. (For instance, the forthcoming DVDO iScan HD.) We'd probably need to set up the projector with new memories for the HD signals.

Comments, suggestions?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Yes, the Runco processors will only take an interlaced signal...so no 580p in.

The projector, however work with the new iscan. I believe that pj has a 50Hz horizontal scan, so even the 1080i shouldn't be a problem, although I don't know that the pj will resolve it. It won't take 960p or 1080p as 960p requires 63Hz on the pj...1080p will obviously require more.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Rhine
I have a 5 year old Runco tripler and a Runco 933 8" CRT projector. What would happen if I input a 580p DVD progressive scan into the tripler?
It is highly unlikely that the Runco tripler will accept 480P (definitely not 580P :)) Very few scalers even today accept progressive component inputs. The Focus Enhancements CenterStage 1 & 2 do though.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems like I would need a switch box that would scale 480i, pass through HDTV resolutions, and output RGB.

Or else a box that would accept RGB out of the scaler, component input for HDTV resoutions, and output RGB.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
If I understand your last comment correctly, the iscan HD will do that, with a transcoder. It has a built in scaler and will output HD at whatever resolution you need. If you take a component out signal for your HD source, run it through a transcoder to convert to HD, and then input it to the pass through of the iscan, your HD image would stay intact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.