·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have an LT150 and I really like the picture it

makes but I have also learned to live with what

I assume are scaling artifacts- ie. stairstepped

edges on straight lines. I am using a progressive scan DVD player and I could build an HTPC easily

but that course doesn't seem to be as user friendly an a dvd player would be if you could

select the native resolution of your projector.

So, how far are we away from such, if at all.

Thanks,

Terry

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Terry,

It could be done - after all, progressive DVD players are essentially DVD players with a built-in

deinterlacer, and the deinterlace step is more complex than the scaling step. However, unless

the resolution is programable, or the industry decides on some "standard" resolutions - then you

have a "coupling" between your player and your projector which is undesirable.

You don't want to have to replace the DVD player when you upgrade the projector because you now have

the "wrong" resolution in the player.

Besides, the company that makes the best DVD player may not make the best scaler.

I think that's one of the strengths of a component stereo system - buy the source components from the

companies that make the best source components, the best amps from good amp companies, and speakers

from speaker companies. I've never been impressed by "all in one" systems - some component is usually

weak.

Greg

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
variable rate scalers are considerably more expensive than dvd players;

the Rock+, a $4-5,000 unit views the combo as adding a dvd player to the scaler, an option they are evaluating for later release.

Proceed has made an add on card set for their PMDT dvd transport that will line double and de-interlace both the internal dvd signal and another input or two, but that is fixed scaling at only a factor of two and that combo is $6,000.

the advantages of the combo would be best optimized if the dvd-to-de-interlacing-to-scaling could be short and remain all digital, but so far, this is expensive, requiring a 5,000 scaler with digital input (SDI) (the vigatec dune) and a modified dvd/SDI out player, about 750 more.

if you wanted to make use of the DVI in to your projector to have minimum A/D-D/A conversions, the choice of sclaer now has to go to the Leeza, about 6,000, just about to be released.

At this point, you have to ask is this worth it for a 2,500 projector? if you want to price match, the best route is HTPC using the SDI card and the 750 dvd?SDI player, both forum specials.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I had the chance to talk to a couple of gentleman at Cedia this year who work for a company that does make a scaling DVD player. The company name eludes me at this point, but the unit seemed pretty cool. It had selectable resolutions anywhere from 480p to 1024x768. I'll let you know if I can remember their name! :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for your replies.

Jason, that's what I want to hear!!

It just seems a matter of time before

some manufacturer encodes the functions

of a software scaler into a chip

and adds that to a dvd player.

Terry

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Turk
I had the chance to talk to a couple of gentleman at Cedia this year who work for a company that does make a scaling DVD player. The company name eludes me at this point, but the unit seemed pretty cool. It had selectable resolutions anywhere from 480p to 1024x768. I'll let you know if I can remember their name! :)
This may have been the Parasound D1 . There's also the Cinematrix PSM1/2 scaler mods, marketed by MSB in the States.

---

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.