Votes: 17 23.6%
  • HD-DVD/Blu Ray looks the same

Votes: 4 5.6%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Optoma HD81 with Gennum scaler and absolutely love my SD-DVDs on the big screen (>100"). HD TV is unquestionably sharper, but not by a lot and so far I'm content waiting for a format winner to emerge between HD-DVD & BluRay. But I've NEVER seen these formats on the big screen (at BestBuy on 50" TV's is the best I've seen). So my question/poll is to those with scalers (not upconverting DVD players), is HD-DVD/BluRay, in your opinion, worthy of spending the money?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I love that HD DVD on my 1080p PJ with Reon VX video processor.

But maybe I will get the HD3000 stand alone scaler from optoma 'cause I like that Gennum VXP scaling and de-interlacing.

Stand alone HD DVD is stunning - even on a 720p PJ. Significanty better than upscaled DVD on a Gennum chip, like the HD3000 from the HD81 package.

HD DVD + A Gennum Chip must be the ultimate gear ;-)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Everything is subjective, no matter how many people give opinions. The best thing to do is "buy" a player (with a return policy), rent a movie, and judge for yourself.

I've got two PJ setups (92" & 106"), I 've only seen HDDVD on them and the movies are great.

Worth the price? Well, I returned the player (360 Addon), because I can't use the discs the way I use my DVDs (ripped and on a network).

YMMV

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last night I popped Corpse Bride (SD-DVD) into my DVD player. I chose this disc for two reasons: 1) It was a top tier PQ SD-DVD and 2) Scalars do an excellent job upconverting animation.

I figured I'd give the BluRay version of Corpse Bride a tough comparison. I took some still shots as well as watching about 15 minutes of the movie on each disc. The BluRay version was clearly better. It wasn't night and day different like when comparing SD-TV vs HD-TV, but there was never a doubt about which version I was looking at. I am now very happy I got off the fence and went to a hi-def movie format. Thanks for all your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.