Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I apologize for the basic level questions...

I have a sharp 9000 on order and am starting to debate whether I need an external scaler (and whether I can afford it..:^)

One of my issues is that I will be watching a fair amount of 4:3 content on my 16:9 screen off my DirecTivo. Does the NRS offer any intelligent aspect ratio controls (e.g. center constant, stretch the edges) or just full stretch?

I presume that a 4:3 into an NRS will do black bars on the side rather than grey? I was demo-ing the 9000 and they had a Toshiba HDTV receiver hooked into it which looked great until they tuned to a 4:3 station and had grey bars...ugh. If they had been feeding that same receiver through an NRS, they'd be able to get black bars, right?

-Jon

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
The NRS has no aspect ratio controls except the most basic ones (letterbox, anamorphic).

If you can arrange for a demo for the Faroudja or another scaler - please keep us posted.

The sharp 9000 was reported as having a nice internal scaler (with 3:2 pulldown, for example). It would be interesting to compare its scaler with an external one (e.g., the NRS).

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
"The NRS has no aspect ratio controls except the most basic ones (letterbox, anamorphic).

"

The NRS series offer full aspect ratio control, but it dosen't offer modes that distorts the image. If you see a lot of tv-shows it offers the best de-interlacing in any scaler.

For a 16:9 display, you will have two options for 4:3, 4:3 material centered within the 16:9 screen with black bars on the side, or zoomed to fill the 16:9 screen with the top and bottom cut off - this mode is called Letterbox and therefore meant for letterboxed 4:3 material.

Per Johnny Ødegaard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.