AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some newbie questions related to all of the above. I am trying to figure out the best way to drive an XP21N.

First of all, how do capture cards normally perform line-doubling and scaling (ie, without dScaler)? Is this the same for ATI cards, which aren't supported by dScaler?

Second, how does dScaler compare to the iScan Pro? I was originally planning on running all my sources (will probably have composite, S-video and component) thru my A/V receiver and then using the iScan to act as both a "switch" and a doubler. Will I get better results from dScaler?

Has anyone used the capture cards from AVerMedia? They are fairly inexpensive and according to dScaler's website work with that program.

Finally, would I be better off getting an HDTV card like the myHD? Does myHD work with or need dScaler? I know it does have composite and S-video inputs, but how are those converted to progressive? For that matter, how is interlaced source like 1080i handled?

On a related note, when is the next powerbuy on the myHD? Is this the cheapest HDTV tuner solution at the moment? Is there any indication that HDTV tuner cards are going to get cheaper anytime soon? And is there any truth to the rumors that ATI is going to add an HDTV tuner to their All-in-Wonder line?

Is there anyone living around Santa Clara, CA who can tell me how good or bad HDTV reception is in the area? I'm not sure my wife would go for an external antenna, so if it is possible to pick up a decent signal with an internal one, that would be a plus.

Thanks for taking the time to work your way through my rambled musings!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.