AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Runco 710 projector hooked via DVI to a Sony ns90v's HDMI output (with a MonsterCable DVI-HDMI converter). When I select the DVI input on the projector, a message appears on the corner of the screen that says that the projector found a 525p 16:9 anamorphic signal. The Sony player is supposed to upscale to 720p if the projector supports it, which it does.

The HDMI light on the front of the Sony is lit as is the progressive light. I've tried setting the Sony configuration to "Auto" and explicitly to 720p, but I still get 525p. I do get higher resolutions when I use the DVI connection to my HD cable box, so I know the projector supports it.

The Sony manual says that it will choose the best resolution that the display will support out of 1920x1080i, 1280x720p, or 720x480p. My guess is that the 525p is really the 720x480p, but why is it not upscaling to the higher resolutions? Is there something I'm missing/not understanding? Like I said, when I connect the HD cable box to the DVI cable the projector seems to accept the higher signal. Could the DVI/HDMI converter have something to do with it? I wouldn't think so because the projector supports HDCP and the HDMI light on the DVD player is coming on.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
First of all HDCP has nothing to do with it (HDCP is a copy protection protocol and not an interface standard).

The DVI input is limited to an 8-bit digital interface, whereas HDMI can be 8-bit, 10-bit, or 12-bit. I don't know if the Sony has settings for the HDMI output for the number of bits in the interface (check your Sony Manual). Also, I don't know what, if anything, that your Monster HDMI to DVI converter is doing. I don't even know if this makes a difference, since the lower 2 bits should just be thrown away in going from a 10-bit output (HDMI) to an 8-bit input (DVI).

You can always go to Radio Shack and get a low cost HDMI to DVI cable (calling it a converter is advertising hype) to try. Make sure it's HDMI to DVI and not the other way around.

Your Sony will always show the HDMI and Progressive Scan lights on regardless of what the signal resolution is (480p or 720p). NOTE: 1080i is not a progressive scan output, so the Progressive Scan light should not be lit, if the Sony is set to output that format.

You are right in assuming that 525p is the same as 1280 x 480 (480p) signal, since their are actually 525 lines in a standard (480 line) video signal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe
First of all HDCP has nothing to do with it (HDCP is a copy protection protocol and not an interface standard).
It sort of does in that if the projector doesn't support HDCP then the DVD player will refuse to send out the digital/higher signals. I just wanted to make that clear.

Quote:
The DVI input is limited to an 8-bit digital interface, whereas HDMI can be 8-bit, 10-bit, or 12-bit. I don't know if the Sony has settings for the HDMI output for the number of bits in the interface (check your Sony Manual). Also, I don't know what, if anything, that your Monster HDMI to DVI converter is doing. I don't even know if this makes a difference, since the lower 2 bits should just be thrown away in going from a 10-bit output (HDMI) to an 8-bit input (DVI).
The Sony manual only describes the HDMI resolution, not bits. It also has a setting for YCbCr/RGB (HDMI) where you can select the "type of signal from the HDMI OUT jack." It says in a note for that setting that "if the HDMI OUT jack is connected to equipment with a DVI jack, 'RGB' signals will be automatically output even when you select 'YCbCr'." I don't know if that is implying the bit width you are talking about.

Quote:
You can always go to Radio Shack and get a low cost HDMI to DVI cable (calling it a converter is advertising hype) to try. Make sure it's HDMI to DVI and not the other way around.
Is that different from the Monster HDMI-DVI adapter connected to the DVI cable? The note on the back of the package says that "HDMI is backwards-compatible with DVI." It also says that it supports 720p.

David

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went and bought another HDMI-DVI converter and had the same results, so it's most likely not the converter. I also picked up a Toshiba DVD player that also upscales to 720p and 1080i. The Toshiba, using the same converter, cable and projector, works fine (i.e., the projector reports the higher resolutions). So it must be either a defect with the Sony or a problem with Sony's firmware/software.

That said, I honestly can't see much difference. The only time I see any real difference is with animated film (e.g., Toy Story) where I see jagged edges with the 1080i and I don't see them with the 720p. The biggest problem with the Toshiba is that it doesn't save the menu settings that dim its display (it always turns the lights back on; very annoying) and the resolution (it always goes back to 1080i).

David

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem. I have a BENQ PE8700 and have connected the ns90V via a tripplite HDMI-DVI adapter. The projector detects a 525P signal no matter what setting I use on the ns90v. Also, when I turn off the player after watching a movie then it will not power up unless I unplug the HDMI connector. The projector need to be turned on last for the player to turn on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.