AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Zenith 1080i satellite receiver and a faroudja nrs-dvi and I have no trouble with HD channel pass-through. The faroudja also scalers up DVDs with a great picture, and it also scales up Over The Air channels nicely. However, I 'm have trouble getting the faroudja to scale up non-HD satellite channels. The unit has a sticker on it that say "NTSC ONLY." Is the faroudja suppose to scale up non-HD satellite channels?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Your faroudja absolutely will take any 480i output you have and scale it. Have you tried component to it?

What kind of trouble are you having, exactly? The key is to make sure the sat box is outputting 480i, regular NTSC television. It may be set to output a higher resolution, which your faroudja will not scale.

Check the menus and be sure the sat box is outputting 480i on component or even s-video if you must.

cheers

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
You will need to connect you STB to the NRS via the Video or S-Video connectors and switch the STB output to 480i. The NRS will then process the signal. If your STB is connected only with the HD-15, you will only get pass-through. It's a pain to keep switching, but the result is worth it. The Samsung HDTV receiver outputs to the 480i simultaneously with the HDTV signal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am looking at the NRS-DVI for the purpose of improving my SD satellite images. I have a BenQ PE8700 with a 110" Firehawk screen. It looks awesome, but when watching SD channels on satellite (Dish Network), I am getting a lot of stair stepping and pixelation. Will this scaler fix this problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I asked this question just yesterday. Not in relation to this specific equipment, more along the lines of "will anything help?". The answer I got was no, and when I do get a projector: "expect it to get worse". Perhaps you'll get a different answer :D

-Nick

·
Premium Member
8,099 Posts
jeffks,

Frequently asked question. The picture will probably be better, but not to the point where you could compare it to HD. The problem is overcompression, and it is constantly getting worse.

On my end, my satellite company just launched a second bird, which should come online sometime within the next month, more than tripling the active bandwidth of our satellite reception. The question is really whether they'll choose to improve PQ, or simply add another hundred useless channels: the aquarium channel, the screen saver channel (oops, we already have that, it's called "baby" and resembels early Windows 3.1 screen savers...)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yeah, I realize when it comes down to it we're not curing cancer here..and that we're spoiled rotten with what we have anyway. But it would be nice if they'd get there and up the bandwidth and go to some better form of compression.

Sure it would be a luxury in life and I'm hardly "suffering", but it would be nice.

-Nick

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
All I can say here is that with a Faroudja NRS, I would rather watch satellite TV projected on the 54"x96" screen than on my 65" TV which is not too good with analog input. The NRS processing was still much better than my older analog 50" TV. Picture is much better, not quite DVD quality, but close. I plan to get another NRS to process the Satellite and DVD for the 65" TV to bypass the internal processing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GlenC
All I can say here is that with a Faroudja NRS, I would rather watch satellite TV projected on the 54"x96" screen than on my 65" TV which is not too good with analog input. The NRS processing was still much better than my older analog 50" TV. Picture is much better, not quite DVD quality, but close. I plan to get another NRS to process the Satellite and DVD for the 65" TV to bypass the internal processing.
So you viewed SD satellite pictures with and without the NRS and can see a noticable improvement in picture quality? (Less pixelation, stair stepping?)

·
Premium Member
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffks
So you viewed SD satellite pictures with and without the NRS and can see a noticable improvement in picture quality? (Less pixelation, stair stepping?)
I am using a CRT projector so pixelation is not an issue. I get a film like picture without seeing scan lines. Atleast the picture is watchable on a 72"x96" screen from 10'-12'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.