Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Sony 1271 projector and I use a HTPC. Until now, I've been using [email protected] in a 16:9 shape as my resolution but I have read about people finding the machines best resolution at which scan lines just overlap and I'm curious to try it.

If I use a software that will let me specify custion resolutions from the PC and then adjust the vertical resolutions so that scan lines almost touch and are unnoticable from the seats, how then do I determine the best horizontal resolution?

Thanks, (and let me know if this makes no sense, I'll try to re-phrase it)

Brian

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi,

In my personal point of view I think the best(atleast in many cases), is to just stick to a resolution which wont show any scanlines from where you sit. You could to go a little higher, like 800x600(4:3) or 1066x600(16:9) .. Some go as high as 720, but I think that might be pushing it and I cant see any direct reason for it.. but try and see what your eyes like best..

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, pixels just get wider if you use a lower horizontal resolution.

So while vertically if your rez is too low you'll see black spaces between scan lines, practice shows that you just don't see this horizontally.

For the least amount of scaling artifacts, it's often recommended to use a moer or less even multiple of the dvd native resolution of 720x480.

1440x960 (which is x2) is an obvious choice but is probably too high for your projector.

Try 1080x720 (x1.5). Not an even multiple but seems to scale nicely.

Kal

·
Registered
69 Posts
I experimented with 720 vertical and I did not like the results. I did this at 48 and 72 hz refresh. The picture was soft. I suspect this is what people are calling overlap.

My best picture quality is at 1072 x 600 @ 48. But I have a slight stutter problem at 48hz. This stutter does not occur at 1072 x 600 @ 72hz, and my PQ is not quite as 3D as 48hz. I probably have a driver issue to fix. Then I will stick to 48hz.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Well, thanks for the replies but I sort of found the answer to my own question. I have a program called Nokia monitor test that tests both horizontal and vertical resoultion. Using this program you can find the sharpest resolution for vertical and horizontal idependantly (assuming you are using a HTPC anyway.)

For some reason I also have a judder type problem with 48 Hz. If I can't figure it out I'm going back to 60 or 72. Smoothness of motion is really important for me to get lost in the story of a film.

Thanks,

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.