AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have experienced lines that scan from the bottom to the top of my screen using two different brands of component cables. The first companies cables produced a green line and the second a purple line. Both companies came recommended from avsforum. Anyone out there have an opinion? Is it a length problem or a shielding problem? I have a brand new Motorola HD box and a Panasonic 900.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Lines (bars) that roll from the slowly either up or down your display are usually an indication of a ground loop problem; it has nothing to do with the "quality" of your cable. The "bars" move up or down very slowly because they are a 60hz (same as your TV display refresh rate) ac signal introduced by the ground loop.

For haha's unplug the coax into the cable box and see if the bar goes away or not (sometimes the cable shell itself is not properly grounded with rest of the wiring in your house). I assume you box will display a loss of signal screen and you should be able to see it or not there.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grimdeath, nice screen name. You are exactly right. Every single receptacle in my basement has a wire going from the neutral to the ground. I ran a new one with a ground from the fuse box and it fixed the problem. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.