AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really looking forward to the DVD of Cronenberg's early classic 'Scanners'.

I could have lived with the budget presentation (no extra's) but that isn't what I am posting about.

Two thirds thru the movie, the sound goes out of sync with the picture. Watching the rest is unbearable - it's like a badly dubbed Godzilla movie. It is totally inexcusable for MGM to have such a lack of quality control. I know it isn't me since others have also reported it. Is MGM's QA asleep at the wheel?

I intend to take the DVD back to Best Buy. But what really kills me is waiting until some other company releases a decent version on DVD. Will it even happen?

I bet Mr Cronenberg is not pleased.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
It's been several weeks since I watched this, but I had a different experience.

I'd heard about the audio and video being out of sync, so I was ready for it, and it happened, but after a minute or two it was back in sync...later it fell out again, but again it fell back in sync in about a minute.

For me it's not to bad, I think our players may have something to do with how much of an effect is present. Some are worse than others.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This is not the fault of MGM, The movie was poorly recorded, The same exact problem also apears on the laserdisc and previous VHS editions. For better or for worse this is a part of the film and always has been.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm...I'm skeptical on that. I watched Scanners on VHS earlier this year and I'm sure I would have noticed such a bad sync problem.

No other reviewers have mentioned that, nor have I ever seen it discussed in anything about the film nor in Cronenberg's book.

There is a thread on this very topic at

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/dcfo...ID51/273.shtml

where some claim it was always out of sync and others say it wasn't. I guess only Cronenberg knows!

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I viewed my vhs version all was fine.

I had orderd 3 good ones Scanners, The Howling and The Dunwich Horror. Okay I happen to like Sanra Dee playing a naughty

role for once, that movie gave me a rise.

Yeah looks like like we all got rooked on that one.

One thing I can't get out of my head on "Storm of the Century", I was pissed that almost 4 hours had been great. The last 3 minutes skipped back to beginning, I played it over 6 times then smashed the disc in half. After that I learned the secret of how to get rid of skipping on most discs. Some things can get to you it got to me, I'm not into smashing things of any nature. I have not smashed one ever again. Any body see "Jade" on thriller max last night. Oohwee that gal had some hysterical blindness starred Linda Fiorintino, Chaz Palmintiri, and guy from NYPD blue that quit for the big screen he was in "First Blood" as a Deputy.

I see we have a new member Linda from the same City that David C Lawrence 'tale' the head of Usenet lives in Reston, VA.Welcome to the forum Linda, your name strikes a bell with an old Jan and Dean song of your same name, it was on Billboards top 10 for a while. Too bad Jans corvette ruined his singing career, right after their cutting a song called "Deadmans Curve".

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jackie Treehorn
This is not the fault of MGM, The movie was poorly recorded, The same exact problem also apears on the laserdisc and previous VHS editions. For better or for worse this is a part of the film and always has been.
This mosr definitely does not occur on the letterboxed laserdisc. (Watched it over the weekend.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.