AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cat that is very curious and has thought about jumping on top of my 804's. These speakers aren't very sturdy b/c of their tall, narrow stature and don't seem sit very solid.

Has anyone "mounted" or "anchored" their speakers to the subfloor? Mine are sitting on carpet over plywood subfloor right now. I thought maybe there was a way to use the spike screw holes somehow. How would this affect the speaker performance?

And before anyone goes down that road ... I already told my better half that we should get rid of the cat (b/c of this) and she said that it would be cheaper to get rid of the speakers :rolleyes: so I'm thinking of a new approach :D

Thanks,

Chad

Ashburn, VA

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pauleyc
And before anyone goes down that road ... I already told my better half that we should get rid of the cat (b/c of this) and she said that it would be cheaper to get rid of the speakers Thanks,

Chad

Ashburn, VA
An intelligent woman!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm sure you could utilize the spike holes to attach them to the floor somehow. I can't see it changing the sound of the speaker at all, but some people claim that lifting their speaker wires off the floor can improve the sound(I can't help but think of little helium filled balloons used to raise the wire).

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the cat can jump onto the 804 do you really think that a low level fence will keep the cat out? I vote eat the cat! i mean get rid of the gato....

·
Banned
172 Posts
Aren't cats capable of hearing above 20khz? Get some speakers that can play in the ultrasonic range, and get some CD's with ultrasonic tracks, and you'll be all set.

The living room will be all quiet, because humans can't hear that kind of frequency, and the cat will be kept at bay away from the speaker.

·
Banned
172 Posts
Definitely beats roasting the cat. Although if my cat does ever cause any form of major damage to my beloved speakers, I might just consider that option :)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sound Anchors sells a pedestal stand for the 804 that might help.

http://www.soundanchors.com/page46.html

There are several stands listed. I believe the bottom ones can be filled with sand or shot to add mass to the base of the speaker (and bass of the speaker for that matter ;) )

·
Registered
733 Posts
I use 2.5" Sound Anchors with my N804s. The difference in stability is not small. They come pre-filled with some kind of heavy substance.

·
Registered
733 Posts
"Aren't cats capable of hearing above 20khz?"

I don't know about high frequency sound, but my (3) cats definitely like good low bass. I have twin SVS 16-46PC+s and a Rel Strata III in my HT/listening room. My wife's cat loves 'em! I watch movies with her (the cat) all the time. The more low bass the better.

The weird thing is I've never had a cat mess up a speaker or sub...

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lolittle - so you think the sound anchors make the speaker a lot more stable? Is there any way to mount the sound anchors to the floor, then screw on the 804s. I know I'm being paranoid, but the investment concerns me.

btw - I will be moving them to a dedicated home theater which will be a no cat area. New house and the basement HT is under construction (more like planing).

·
Registered
733 Posts
"lolittle - so you think the sound anchors make the speaker a lot more stable?"

Yes.

"Is there any way to mount the sound anchors to the floor, then screw on the 804s."

No. BTW, the Sound Anchors (16 lbs a piece, BTW) do not screw into the N804s. Blue Tac (sp?) is used, and works EXTREMELY well to hold them together. I was skeptical at first, but 100% convinced now.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I just thought of a good analogy regarding N804s on Sound Anchor (2.5") speaker stands.

Have you ever tried to push a SVS 16-46PC+ over? It's almost 47" tall, with a good percentage of the weight in the 12" closest to the floor. It's not easy to push a 16-46PC+ over...

N804s on 2.5" Sound Anchor speaker stands (16 lbs each, remember) are at least as hard, if not harder to push over than a SVS 16-46PC+.

·
Registered
518 Posts
lolittle,

Your cats love deep bass? My cats HATE it when my N803s pound out an organ note or bass drum/tympani roll. Let's not even talk about LFE during a movie. Please give my cats' phone number to your cats. Mine need some educating!

pauleyc,

Try inserting the spikes that came with your N804s. They made my N803s on a carpeted/wood floor much more stable. Your B&W dealer should have some if you can't find them.

Unlike a previous poster, we found a significant difference in sound between spiked and unspiked. In fact, we hear differences between:

a) unspiked,

b) spiked with the spikes going all the way thru the carpet to the floor and,

c) spiked without the height-adjusting nuts, so the spikes don't quite reach the floor.

For us, c) is best. It preserves the Nautilus's blazingly fast transients while not exciting the wood floor with too much bass energy, which causes boominess. YMMV of course.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My toddlers were running around and my daughter knocked one of my Martin Logan ReQuests over and almost flattened my son. I repaired the damaged panel and made sure that this would never happen again by using fishing line to fasten the top rear of the speaker to the curtain rod which is attached to the wall behind them. It is invisible unless you are standing right next to them. It was easy to do with my speakers because of their design and height.

·
Registered
518 Posts
90c4,

I imagine ML speakers could only fall over in one direction, forward, due to their shape. We Nautilus owners prefer a more neutral speaker; ie, my N803's can topple equally in all directions! ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.