AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched the original release of Scarface on DVD, undoubtedly one of Pacino's finest performances. This non anamorphic rendition of a classic is indeed pathetic, to say the least. Despite that, Pacino still grabs you and keeps you watching. Although on my FP it was watchable, on the Pioneer RPTV Pro710 it is impossible to watch because it locks into the full mode and you cannot adjust or stretch the picture.

My question is : are we ever going to get a new anamorphic version, with a maybe DD 5.1 or even DTS track? Is it too much to ask for the perpetuation of Tony Montana?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Where have you been sleeping? I just watched my *anamorphic* Superbit wide screen DVD. movie by Brian DePalma 1983.

I bought this off of a amazon.com reseller about a year ago. This is the widescreen version with the DTS logo on the front in RED text, of the Alpacino Scarface also on the mostly black and white text and back ground.

Dual layer 2H50 minutes, time to wake up Rip Van Winkle, Tony Montana never looked so good on a disc. :)

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hob:

YIPPEEEE!!!. Thank you. Is anything open today? I want to run out now and get my hands on it. I am indeed Rip Van Winkle. Superbit? DTS? Tony Montana? WOW!!!.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Bill I don't know about today but tomorrow is Black Friday and everything will be open. The Superbit was released a while ago because I purchased my used disc off a reseller at amazon.com.

Happy safe shopping, I will be at home like always including today; watch our for the road rage drivers, that's what did me in; in June of 1985. I am very happy for you to get what you want. :)

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Wow- I had to do some serious web-searching to find this. I did find some references to it, and it seems to be a region 0 release. I couldn't find any references to it from domestic websites like Amazon (USA). This is very odd; why would a release like this be so "stealth" in nature? Hope it isn't some kind of Chinese knock off... :(

Fred

PS- if it actually says "Superbit" on it something is really fishy. "Superbit" is a Columbia/Sony brand name. It would never be on a Universal release.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
The movie is definately anamorphic 2.35:1.

I agree that someone could have put the sticker on to impress the buyer, but when played this afternoon I definitly heard Surround Sound. I am using a Sennheiser 5 sound from headphones the same type used by our moderator Larry Davis.

Back quite awhile using the same Dolby Surround Pro-logic headphones setup, I detected surround Sound on the Region 4 "The Final Countdown". I was told by Matt Stevens I was correct but it was very faint I am using Denon AHD-750 PQ 30 ohm low impedence headphones. I am saying that this disc is in Dolby Surround, but I can't confirm 5.1 because I have no equipment to do that test with. :)

·
Banned
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I was right after all. There is no official re-release after the DVD that I currently possess. There are several hundred postings on eBay for the DTS version but they all call it "an import version". What does that mean?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I assume it means that it is imported from Asia, where it seems most of the bootlegs come from. If this was a legitmate region 1 release, wouldn't dvdempire, amazon, and the rest all have it?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Do you need glasses or don't you start at the beginning like most of us do? I stated I purchased off of amazon.com.

Now you come marching along read one post then your an expert on mindreading the rest of the posts. If your going to post to a thread read the font to the back if you don't have the time tough. I spent close to 25 minutes typing with 2 thumbs and 7 fingers, I take the time to try to get it right or I don't do it at all.

Please put me on your ignore list, we can then both have a nice christmas. I don't like 1 post readers to tell me I have a bootleg, most bootlegs will not be listed as region 1 but Region 0. :(

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
Do you need glasses or don't you start at the beginning like most of us do? I stated I purchased off of amazon.com.

--snip--

Please put me on your ignore list, we can then both have a nice christmas. I don't like 1 post readers to tell me I have a bootleg, most bootlegs will not be listed as region 1 but Region 0. :(
Jeeze, Hob, take a pill!! Look, I believe you BUT:

Amazon might have sold the DVD at some point in the past before they realized what it was, but the do not have this disk listed now, today, nor does any other major DVD retailer that I found. I did find some references to the DVD and it was in fact, listed as being Region 0. No one has heard of this release, and it sounds like you have a bootleg.

here's something I copied from a Scarface FAQ website:

What's up with the DVD being out of print!

Apparently this has been discontinued and now commands a very high price! Word is they are going to release a new edition (although they currently deny it), but I haven't heard when. Why? I don't know.

If you see a "Scarface DVD" on ebay or other online auctions, or amazon marketplace, be sure it's the real DVD, not a VCD or asian bootleg. I've seen some sold as "DTS DVD" but I've never heard of Scarface released as

DTS, so I doubt they're legit.

You have to understand that if it's a bootleg anything printed on it is crap and means nothing. That's just the facts. It's not a personal attack on you, nor does it mean that you might not have a pretty cool disk. We like you. And if it turns out we're wrong we'll apologize. Now eat turkey please and calm down.

Fred

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I listened to an interview with somebody senior from Universal distribution. The interviewer was a Scarface freak, and belabored his questions re it, as a fan would. There is no valid Scarface release that is currently available. Simple as that. The original SF release was crap, a disservice to the film, and has since been discontinued. Superbit from Universal...pleeeease...it's a brand, and otherwise means nothing specific.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Man did I ever learn a lesson from this thread. Don't worry I won't be stepping on any toes in this forum anymore. Here I thought I would brighten the guys day, I had ever seen the movie but once or twice. Like all truck drivers I read not proof read stories in newspapers. Friends who I thought were my friends, told me to take a pill.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I am your freind Hob :) Don't take everything personally.

Fred

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.