AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all i was wondering if the new scarface dvd is worth buying since i have scarface on dvd like everyone else is this really any different besides dts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Going to best buy this afternoon and was wondering the same...I will buy

if pq has been taken care of. The original was almost the worst out there.

Anybody got a clue ?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've heard the biggest improvement is in the soundtrack, but the PQ has been improved also (how much, I don't know).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
the pq HAS to be better, the original is just barely above VHS...

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Browsing quickly thru a few chapters, I can say that this version has much better PQ than the previous DVD, which was riddled with excessive grain & halos. Its not perfect, as the print has some blemishes and dirt specs on occassion and appears a bit soft, but halos are minimal and the massive grain is mostly gone. Color saturation is good (although there is some bleeding at times, check the beach scenes) and so is black level. All in all, a significant improvement and probably the best we're going to get considering the source print I imagine. I didn't have the time to evaluate sound quality.

·
Banned
460 Posts
$39? Their website says $49, but i'd rather pay $39.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I went to 4 different local stores this afternoon and none of them had the Deluxe set. I checked the Best Buy website and it is sold out too. Amazon still has it available for $42. The Amazon site has an offer to get a Visa card and get $30 off your purchase, so my net cost was $12.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JorgeGVB
I went to 4 different local stores this afternoon and none of them had the Deluxe set. I checked the Best Buy website and it is sold out too. Amazon still has it available for $42. The Amazon site has an offer to get a Visa card and get $30 off your purchase, so my net cost was $12.
For $12 I'd get the box set. Otherwise, forget it.

·
Banned
460 Posts
$39 seemed too cheap but two 20's and a Fin is all it took. Thanks for the heads up Gianny. Does Tower do this often on the first day of release?

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Watched it tonight. PQ is nice. Not as soft as I expected, very little EE (but evident).

SQ is pretty bad though in my opinion. Lots of distortion and most everything comes from the center channel. I only tried the DTS track.

Cary

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jcmccorm
Watched it tonight. PQ is nice. Not as soft as I expected, very little EE (but evident).

SQ is pretty bad though in my opinion. Lots of distortion and most everything comes from the center channel. I only tried the DTS track.

Cary
I agree EE is very little but when it shows youll know, I also try the DTS track then swith to the same scenes on DD and it seems that nothing was coming out the rear channels, i thought that the surf on Miami beach will be heard, like it was on the theathers but i guess i was wrong.

features are good, more deleted scenes than in the previous version, and the menu layout on both disc is cool , oh and thanks UNIVERSAL FOR NOT PUTTING FORCE TRAILERS ON THIS MOVIE!!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Gianny,

5 deluxe sets? What on earth are you gonna do with 5 sets. Everybody in your family getting the same Christmas present?

Anyway everywhere has the deluxe for about $65 and the regular for $24 up here in Canada. Tons of copies of both available everywhere I went today - and I had to make a bit of a tour in order to find a copy of Dave Matthews new album.

·
Registered
122 Posts
One is for my personal collection, the other four I might give them away or just hold to them and sell them later. I mean, I did get them cheap!!!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
I've heard the biggest improvement is in the soundtrack, but the PQ has been improved also (how much, I don't know).
The soundtrack has no low end and is a pretty faithful representation of how the film has always sounded (crappy). I'm surprised Universal went to the trouble of re-purposing what appears to be the original 2.0 Dolby Surround track into 5.1 (and DTS at that) without re-EQing the track. I mean: there is *no* low end!

It's a terrible sounding soundtrack IMHO - looped audio is terrible, and you can actually hear the room tone of the dubbing stage during many of the looped sequences. Where'd they loop the film, in someone's bedroom?

Picture quality is substantially improved over the previous DVD (and LD), but still is rather murky during many of the darker interior scenes.

The rap "documentary" is a joke. Can't believe it's listed first as one of the special features on the back cover. Waste of time IMHO. Would have been better in a small dose as part of an overall docu on the legacy of the film. Did Def Jam finance part of this release? Certainly looks like it...

As a child of Cuban-American parents living in Miami when the production took place, IMHO there could have been a bit more in the docu from the POV of the exiles. For instance, in contrast to what Bregman and co. state on the "Creating Scarface" docu, the big issue that bothered the exiles regarding the production was that there was a dramatic increase in racist remarks leveled at Cuban-Americans in South Florida after the 1980 Mariel fiasco. This was the only time in my life I heard "****" leveled at me, my family and friends in public. By 1982, this had leveled off - and then here comes Scarface: The Production fueling the situation again. By late '83 when the film was released, enough time had passed that the racism had died down and the Cuban-American community LOVED the film! I remember seeing it with friends and family in a sold-out theater and the audience ROARED with laughter at the humor and were completely riveted and terrified by the violence. What a trip!

What you essentially get from the docu is that the Cuban-American community thought the film was financed by Castro (??!!), ran the production out of town, and hated the film. I'm sure the film has its detractors, but there was so much more behind this story.

But finally, there is an acceptable version of Scarface on DVD - if you can find it. Seems everywhere I go, stores are sold out of both the box set and the disc.

Cheers,

·
Registered
479 Posts
I bought a copy last night and had the opportunity to watch about 3/4 of the movie. It is much improved over the previous release but I couldn't help noticing a distracting digital look to certain scenes.

For example when they go to make the deal with the Colombians (infamous chainsaw scene), the lines on the car became jaggy as well as when Tony first sees Michelle Phifer. The room has a round red circle in it that turns quite jaggy also when the camera pans.

Anyone else notice this?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.