AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked this question on DVD players forum but could only get one reply. I've thought I could get some more help here.

I'll soon replace my Philips DVD-963SA with another DVD player in my HT and use the Philips with a Sony Grand Wega with just the RGB scart inputs, no component.

My 963SA is also European so it has the Scart outputs but I've heard that they will not give "component" like results. If that's true what kind of connection should I use for the best results? Scart to Scart, S-video or run component to TV and use a converter like this? http://www.scancom.ltd.uk/products/cypress/cm-333.htm

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
SCART is RGBcvS. It is essentially a transcoded verion of component.

CRTs use RGB, whereas DVDs are encoded with YUV data. You need transcoding somewhere.

Usually it's done on the display side. However, in your case, the transcoding will have been done on the DVD player side. If it's done well, there shouldn't be a big degredation in PQ.

BTW, where are you located?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ofer,

I live in Turkey, not too far away from you.

So you say "if it's done well" then Scart to Scart connection should work, but I don't know how well that transcoding is done in the Philips player. What do you think of that converter in that link? It's not that cheap but do you think it will help?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Actually there is more than just the transcoding. There is also how the TV itself deals with the signal.

Many TV's in Europe have poor component and/or RGB processing. In fact it si quite common for folk to note best performance when feeding many devices S-video. This is quite possiblythat the processing is done in Y/C domain in the TV set. Down converting from RGB to YPrPb to Y/C and back up again may cause obvious visible artifacts.

End result is that you need to take each case as it comes

Gordon

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
hey murat,

If your display only has scart input, and no component, transcoding yourself will not be beneficial. I would compare scart with svideo coming from the player directly to the screen.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys :)

Ofer, just for me to understand more clearly, why transcoding with an external device will not be OK when the TV just has Scart inputs and no component.

And if you check the describtion of that converter , it says it is good for displays with just Scart inputs. Why do you think they made such a product? Is it just a worthless piece of box or will it work as they claim?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
You will need to find out the pin-out usage of the SCART connector on your TV. Sometimes the SCART connector sends S-video direcly in. Sometimes it accepts component video (aka Y/Pb/Pr, or YUV with slight voltage differences for which slight changes in the TV RGB gain controls are suggested but not mandatory).

Usuallythe SCART input to the TV expects RGB with sync on a fourth line (described earlier) in which case you need the external converter box (transcoder) to deal with component video.

If the TV takes RGB (and/or YUV) and converts it to S-video, then does something, then converts it back to RGB (the last step mandatory before reaching the picture tube) you have no choice inthat matter with that TV.

There is no loss in resolution given a high quality conversion from YUV (or Y/Pb/Pr) to RGB. Converting from YUV or RGB to S-video does reduce chrominance resolution (crispness of color changes).

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

(Compared to RGB, component video and YUV are each roughly red, white and blue)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Philips DVD player has all kinds of outputs Scart, S-Video, Component, Composite.

TV has Scart and S-Video.

I can run Scart and S-Video directly to TV and also use Component connection using the above external converter. I'd like to know which one of these connections will give the better PQ

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
OK, so I wasn't that far off.

My gut feeling tells me that you'll probably get almost identical results between a transcoded COMPONENT->SCART converter and the built-in one. My recommendation to you would be to first use the SCART and SVIDEO and compare the two. I wouldn't bother with a transcoder unless you see something really wrong (like excessive Y/C delay) on your SCART input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.