AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is a name brand vs. no name vs. refurb battle.

I have no experience with Sceptre, or with the particular TV in question. Through my searches, it seems they get generally favorable reviews, and have solid customer service.

I'm really trying to stick to a budget and save as much as possible. $475 is effectively unbeatable for a 37" 1080p TV. The flip side would be springing for a 32" set. I can nab a Toshiba via Tiger for about $400 NIB, or a refurb Sylvania 32" for $330. All these sets get generally favorable reviews from consumers and users, but I haven't found any official write ups on CNet or other similar sites.

Actual Cost Breakdown:

Sceptre 37" = $475 + $65 shipping = $540 (Tiger Direct)

Toshiba 32" = $400 + $45 shipping = $445 (Tiger Direct)

Sylvania 32" = $330 = $30 tax = $360 (New Egg)

I should note that I'm going to be using this TV with an over-the-air HD antenna, and an upscaling HDMI DVD player (potentially Blue-Ray at some point down the line). Have gotten pretty tired of forking over $150 a month for cable I rarely watch. Rather pay netflix $9/mo and watch what I want, when I want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm starting to gravitate away from the 37", more for budget concerns than anything else. Leaning more and more toward the Toshiba. It has brand-name advantage over the other two, and is not a refurb. The reviews on best buy are mostly positive, with a few isolated incidents of back light death after about 1-1.5 years. Realistically, though, set-failure is a risk one takes with any brand (had to return a Samsung recently with a bad speaker; a friend had to do the same thing with a different model).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.