AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse a double-post (Direct View forum as well), since my topic basically overlaps both forums.

I'm looking for a little advice/experience. Here is my situation:

This set is for my secondary viewing location (primary is Mits WS-65869).

The room is fairly bright during the day - many windows.

The set will be fed with:
  • SA8300HD PVR - Adelphia Cable with 9 HD Channels, built-in PIP and scaling
  • DVD (progressive scan)
  • VHS (tapes for grandchildren - virtually all 4:3)
  • OTA I have access to 5-6 HD channels not available with Adelphia, so internal HD Tuner is preferred
  • Not likely to be set up with HTPC
  • Budget around $1500
  • Sound will be ported to an audio system, so internal sound/speakers are unimportant

As I've been researching this, the Sony KD34XS955 seems to be a viable choice. The added 'bells and whistles' of the KD34XBR960 don't seem worth it given my needs and how it will be fed.

But as I've looked around, a 37" LCD like the Sceptre X37SV Naga looks interesting, at a similar price. I realize that on one level I'm comparing apples and oranges, but on the other hand, both are appealing options.

I am fairly discriminating about picture quality, and this is my first priority, but I am not obsessive-compulsive about it, don't have time/interest for Service Menu adjustments, etc.

Any thoughts on the pros/cons on these 2 specific sets, or others I should consider, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dont know much about the Sony, but I did try out the Sceptre... twice. If that tells you anything. I don't recommend the Sceptre. You can get all the ins and outs in the Sceptre x37SV Naga Review thread. Lots of discussion about it there.

Harper

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Harper,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I tried to bite off part of that huge thread about the Sceptre, but it isn't easy to distill something useful out of that many posts.

What specific problems did you have with the Sceptre? Basic Image Quality, Quality Control?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Many of us that have run the appropriate tests have found juddering and tearing on the Sceptre. I've gotten distortion from a PC source as well as component that appears as a thin band of flashing pixels. I need to research more to find out the appropriate name for it. Using Powerstrip to lower the frequency down to 53.xxx hz removed the juddering, but that solution is only available for a PC source.

OTA HD looks nice and I have not seen judder.

Harper

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Harper. I do remember reading about that, although I had the impression that it was only an issue when used with a PC.

I went to a few stores today, but unfortunately didn't see either of these models. One store had the Sony 34HS420, which looked good, but not great (not unexpected).

I did see the Westinghouse LVM-37W1, which has also caught my interest, from the Sceptre thread and it's own thread. I don't know if they had its settings messed up, but the picture quality was quite soft and unfocussed. Surprising for a 1080P, 1920x1080 pixel LCD. I'm inclined to think it could look much better, but who knows.

While there I looked at several larger DLP Projection units, for a price a little under $2k: Mitsu WD-52327 and Sony KDFE42A10. Also found Costco has the Toshiba 52HM95 for under $2k as well.

Any thoughts on these?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.