AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gov Nikki Haley reportedly wants to cut funding to SCETV. Perhaps instead they could look at eliminating unnecessary duplication of OTA broadcast signals as a means to save on the budget. At my location near Mauldin, I receive 3 strong SCETV signals, where only one is necessary. I get 29.1 on RF9 at 100%, 49.1 on RF43 at 100%, and 38.1 at 75-80%. There seems to be no need for both Greenville and Spartanburg to each have an OTA signal, as they both significantly overlap in close proximity. And according to the coverage maps, 29 covers the exact area as 49, but with a wider coverage area. And the HiVHF signal on RF9 would save money on the power bill, as I believe the UHF signal of 49 uses more power. But either way, since 29 has the larger coverage area, it would make sense for the state save money and stop broadcasting the duplicate signal on 49.

·
Registered
17,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC  /t/1414587/scetv-funding/0_100#post_22113025

And the HiVHF signal on RF9 would save money on the power bill, as I believe the UHF signal of 49 uses more power.

Ironically, I suspect WNTV has the largest power bill of any SCETV station. It has an ERP on par with the UHFs in the market. But UHF antennas have higher gain figures than VHF antennas, so I imagine WNTV needs a larger transmitter to make the same ERP.

- Trip

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, since 29 has the larger coverage area according to the maps, that's why I suggested there doesn't seem to be a need for 49 since their signals overlap in the much of the same area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts