AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually shut off my HTPC when I am finished viewing for the night. But when I want to record Leno with the Hipix I leave it on to record for the night.

Is there a way to schedule Windows 2000 to shutdown the computer at a given time?

·
Registered
236 Posts
yes there is...

I don't remember off the top of my head the exact name of the program I used but here it is:

Win2k/nt4.0 does not support the "Shutdown" command like Win9x does. So, there are quite a few third-parti freeware programs that will allow you to shutdown a Win2k/NT4.0 machine.

Using the task scheduler, you should just be able to add that program to run as a scheduled task and power off the computer.

I have to look at what I tried when I get home in order to be more specific.

Alex

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
D'OH!

What an obvious idea! I'm having a problem right now with accessDTV not shutting itself off after a recording, and I was getting ready to write a utility to kill accessDTV at, say, 3:00 AM every morning (if you don't kill the dumb thing it tends to hang, and then any subsequent recordings you have scheduled don't get made... :mad: ).

But instead of writing a utility, I'll just use one of the handy programs listed here to reboot the whole system at 3:00 AM. Since my computer has auto-logon, this will wind up accomplishing the same goal (namely, killing accessDTV).

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
Win2k/nt4.0 does not support the "Shutdown" command like Win9x does. So, there are quite a few third-parti freeware programs that will allow you to shutdown a Win2k/NT4.0 machine.
Not sure why you say that. I've used the shutdown command on NT4, Win2k, and WinXP. In fact, the NT/2k/XP version will even let you remotely shut down remote NT/2k/XP machines. Type shutdown /? for more info.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:
Not sure why you say that. I've used the shutdown command on NT4, Win2k, and WinXP.
I didn't express myself quite clearly--I meant the "rundll32" command in Win9x systems.

JKohn, you speak of the shtutdown.exe utility from the resource kit, correct? That is one of the options that will work, the one I tried and happen to like is from losoft:

http://www.losoft.de/ls_down.html

Alex

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
OK, maybe under NT4 and 2K it gets installed by the Resource Kit, which I always installed.

But my XP workstation has a shutdown.exe in the System32 folder, and I haven't installed the resource kit on that machine.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You can also create a batch file with the following simple shell command (normal shutdown):

Code:
Code:
rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 1

To force a windows shutdown (close all apps without confirming--even apps that have stopped responding) create a batch file with this shell command:

Code:
Code:
rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 5

Use Windows Scheduler to run the appropriate batch file at the desired time.

Note that these shell script commands work for WinME but should also work for Win2000. If not, you should be able to find what you need in the M$ Knowledge Base.

Good Luck -- Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.