AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well that's my question can I obtain an antenna rotator which I could schedule the pointing direction of either at that rotator , on a home computer network, or from another piece of equipment? This would be a very nice thing to do for automatic recording of the programs without you in attendance.

·
Registered
948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmiller /forum/post/20823299

Well that's my question can I obtain an antenna rotator which I could schedule the pointing direction of either at that rotator , on a home computer network, or from another piece of equipment? This would be a very nice thing to do for automatic recording of the programs without you in attendance.

I believe that the ONLY way to do this would be with one of those (very expensive) Harmony remote controls. You would program the Harmony with the codes for your rotator remote, and then you can set the Harmony to excecute the appropriate commands at the right times. You would then leave the Harmony in a position where it can hit the rotator control box with it's IR emitter.

Personally, I'd like to see a DXing program for PC that can control the rotator through a IR blaster. It could be programmed to turn the antenna, then run a scan, then turn the antenna, run another scan, etc. It would record any DX hits, which could be reviewed by the user at a later time.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Ham Radio style rotors can be programmied, but I haven't seen any inexpensive ones for home TV.

The "SmartAntenna" standard was a great idea when it was introduced in the mid 2000's, but it seemed to die, due to lack of interest in OTA viewing. Only a few converters implemented it, and I don't recall ever seeing it in a stand-alone Digital TV set.

How many directions do you need? Can you combine a couple of antennas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.