AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a BD808s in my living room. Due to the lower ceiling height I had to mount the projector at an angle. During calibration the grid lines on the bottom of the image are out of focus while the rest of the image appears crisp. If I tilt the bottom of the screen towards the projector the bottom of the image gets clearer. I would guess that this condition is the result of the way I have mounted the projector. Is there any way to do a correction for this? The lenses look to be hard mounted with no means of adjusting.

A totally different question.

The dots on the calibration screen are oval in shape in the E - W direction. They are almost twice as long horizontally as they are vertically. This is true for all CRT's and for the entire image. The vertical lines are wider then the horizontal lines. The astig rings nor the deflection yokes improve this. They appear to be properly adjusted. Any ideas on what's up with this? The projector produces a great image. Movies look fantastic. I can't help but think that this is a misadjustment that would make the image even better if improved.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Unfortunately the Barco DATA 808S doesn't have a Scheimpflug adjustment like the Graphics does. So you are limited to astig, magnets, optical focus and em focus to work out the focus issues. Mounting position can be a bit more critical.

The internal test pattern generated by the Barco produces dots that are almost rectangles and wider to the E-W, so that is normal.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I mounted my Barco Graphic 808s on the ceiling tilted down in the front.

I corrected this by pulling the bottom of the screen out about 6". You can see it when the lights are on, but when viewing, it is not noticeable at all...the back wall is black to about 24" from the screen wall.

Initially the reason I did this was because I didn't want to watch movies with the screen at the ceiling...I wanted it centered on the wall.

the pictures in my signature show this (although not very well).

Scott

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I wonder if you can shim the lenses?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
You might be able to shim the lens assy. Sony did this on the 12xx series. Trial and error.

Terry

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll give it a try. The Barco lens program gives you Scheimpflug adjustment numbers. What have I got to lose? Thanks Terry

Charles

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went ahead and did a scheimpflug adjustment on my BD808s last night. Using the Lens program from Barco I enter in the amount of tilt I have in my projector. If you look at the "text" screen in the lens program it will tell you how much scheimpflug adjustment is needed. By adding washers to the bottom studs that hold the lenses I was able to produce this amount of adjustment.

The results were very good. I believe the over all picture quality is improved. At least in my case. I'm sure results will vary from unit to unit.

For those interested in trying this, just remember. You will need to do a full focus and convergence calibration for every setup you have. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time!

Charles

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Good for you Charles. I guess Sony felt this was a good way to do it with their entire 12xx series.

Terry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.