AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, I've been waiting for this movie forever. Its a piece of art and history that I have to have in my collection. I thought they were going to wait longer but they decided to release it. Cool.

Brian

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Hmmm. Never much cared for Spielberg movies.

Too ... commercial. Manipulative. Shallow.

Not that I'm all that deep. But Stevie's in it for the money. Just like his one-dimensional heroes always decry the bad guys.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AcuraCL

Not that I'm all that deep. But Stevie's in it for the money. Just like his one-dimensional heroes always decry the bad guys.
Oh, I don't know. Now, I know SS can be manipulative -- swelling music, etc. -- but I thought DUEL and JAWS and THE COLOR PURPLE and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND were fine films that don't fit your criticism (well, maybe CP in some ways).

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Quote:

oh GOD.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
Oh, I don't know. Now, I know SS can be manipulative -- swelling music, etc. -- but I thought DUEL and JAWS and THE COLOR PURPLE and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND were fine films that don't fit your criticism (well, maybe CP in some ways).
Jaws was the last one I really enjoyed. Still, it's typical SS work. Everything is a dam cliche.

The guy will make no movie that isn't guaranteed to be a blockbuster. It's not real hard to predict what the public will like ... (casting glances around), and that's what he delivers to them.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
personally i can't wait for this one..and is one everyonr should see.

brickie

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Quote:
I bet you're the kind of movie watcher Stevie just LOVES !!
To each their own....

But, sure -- I love Spielberg movies. They're extremely well-done, and very entertaining. But I like LOTS of different kinds of movies.

And no, he doesn't do "guaranteed" blockbusters. 1941, A.I. and Hook are prime examples of "non" blockbusters.

The simple fact is, Spielberg is the most accomplished and acclaimed director of our time. He has more films on the AFI top 100 best films of all time than any other director, and he continues to make great films. Look at his list of films. You're telling me you didn't like ONE?

AcuraCL -- so, who would you classify as a top-notch director?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Jaws was the last one I really enjoyed. Still, it's typical SS work. Everything is a dam cliche.
A cliche is a trite or overused expression. Please tell me how "Jaws" fits into this definition?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:

Spielberg took no pay for Schindler's List. :mad:

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Przybylski
To each their own....

But, sure -- I love Spielberg movies. They're extremely well-done, and very entertaining. But I like LOTS of different kinds of movies.

And no, he doesn't do "guaranteed" blockbusters. 1941, A.I. and Hook are prime examples of "non" blockbusters.

The simple fact is, Spielberg is the most accomplished and acclaimed director of our time. He has more films on the AFI top 100 best films of all time than any other director, and he continues to make great films. Look at his list of films. You're telling me you didn't like ONE?

AcuraCL -- so, who would you classify as a top-notch director?
Spielberg is far from acclaimed. He is generally snickered at among "serious artists." It is not jealousy that kept his peers from giving him an Oscar for so long. It is that people who take chances on their filmmaking art, who strive for some artistic vision, loathe the cheap tricks he uses.

Top notch directors?

How about Hitchcock?

How about Ridley Scott?

How about John Ford?

How about George Cukor?

How about Howard Hawks?

How about Peter Weir?

How about Michael Curtiz?

How about Frank Capra?

How about William Wyler?

How about Joseph L Mankiewicz?

How about Elia Kazan?

One Ang Lee movie has more to offer in terms of human insight than all the SS movies put together.

SS can do big budget, big special effects, and big box office though.

And if that's what you like, fine.

I was just expressing my opinion. I don't care for his movies. I'd rather have to put forth some effort to figure a movie out. I know people in comas who can figure out SS movies.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Przybylski
A cliche is a trite or overused expression. Please tell me how "Jaws" fits into this definition?
Let's see. The big city cop who tries to get away from the stress of big city crime only to land in (nyuck nyuck) even deeper water.

The island-living cop who's (nyuck nyuck) afraid of water.

The dedicated scientist who just can't get along with or value the advice of the old experienced tar.

The hard-drinking, hard-cussin tar himself who has some unresolved ****-erotic leanings (all those years on the ship, I guess).

The money-grubbing politician.

Hell, EVERY character is a cliche. Spielberg's distinction here is that he manages to heap multiple cliches upon the same character.

I didn't read the book. How much of this crap is the fault of the writer, and how much is the fault of the director, I don't know. I've seen more creativity and characterization from elementary school kids though.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Spielberg is far from acclaimed. He is generally snickered at among "serious artists." It is not jealousy that kept his peers from giving him an Oscar for so long. It is that people who take chances on their filmmaking art, who strive for some artistic vision, loathe the cheap tricks he uses.
Umm, really -- how in the heck do you know that?

And, as a graphic artist, I find his movies VERY inspired, and visually compelling... Not trying anything new visually? A.I.? Minority Report? These are great examples of his abilities as an artist... and a great storyteller.

Hitchcock? Great example.

Ridley Scott? Please. His career has gone the way of the dodo. What's so deep and intriguing about G.I. Jane or Thelma and Louise?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Let's see. The big city cop who tries to get away from the stress of big city crime only to land in (nyuck nyuck) even deeper water.

The dedicated scientist who just can't get along with or value the advice of the old experienced tar.

The hard-drinking, hard-cussin tar himself who has some unresolved ****-erotic leanings (all those years on the ship, I guess).

Hell, EVERY character is a cliche. Spielberg's distinction here is that he manages to heap multiple cliches upon the same character.

I didn't read the book. How much of this crap is the fault of the writer, and how much is the fault of the director, I don't know. I've seen more creativity and characterization from elementary school kids though.
Keep reaching. Hitchcock's movies are great, but are chock full'o the types of "stereotypical" people you mention above... As are most of the films of the directors you mention.

Obviously you don't like Spielberg's kinds of movies, although, I don't know of any other director whose film-palette is SO diverse that you couldn't like at least one.

And ANG LEE? PLEASE! Hulk was the biggest pile of crap I've ever seen...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really don't care for how a director directs as long as the movie turns out to be at least good enough to own on DVD. I think that all of SS movies are in that category. Even some of his stranger stuff recently, but I still love his work.

Brian

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:

In the book,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) the Richard Dreyfuss character has an affair with Chief Brody's wife, and ends up getting eaten by the shark when it breaks through his cage, as I recall.
So in a sense Spielberg ELIMINATED that cliche by changing it in the movie.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I'm pickin' it up, for sure. Yeah, everything Speilberg touches is'nt gold, but this one IS. This was a joy to watch uncut on television. Anyone who calls this movie shallow must have dozed off or something. It's pacing is'nt fast at all, but does pay off with a very powerful ending. Bravo, Steven--10 stars! BTW, A.I. and Minority Report will be hailed as classics within several years.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My eternal wait is nearly over, having owned this on Laser, I have waited with baited breath for this release. One of my all fave movies, it has its critics, but I think it is a wonderful movie. March could not come sooner for me, and here is hoping November comes quicker for the Star Wars DVD's at last.

Mark

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.