AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone be kind enough to explain to me WHY, in God's name, is Schindler's List still not out on DVD? :confused:

Has anyone made any indication at all about a possible release date?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
If you're interested in something to make you never forget the Holocaust, get NIGHT AND FOG (Criterion), by Alain Resnais, 1956 or 1957. As some have written, Resnais in NIGHT AND FOG did better in 31 minutes than what SCHINDLER'S LIST several decades later tried to do. NIGHT is an essay, rather than a drama/story. It's relatively inexpensive, too. It will leave you mute.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eweiss
... get NIGHT AND FOG (Criterion), ...
FYI, if you search for it, make sure to use an "&" as in "Night & Fog" instead of the "and".

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mpedris
Would someone be kind enough to explain to me WHY, in God's name, is Schindler's List still not out on DVD? :confused:

Has anyone made any indication at all about a possible release date?

Thanks.
They withhold some movies from DVD release, keeps them special :)

THey could be thinking about a 2nd theatrical release, or a they could be thinking about releasing it in 10 years, or who knows ...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree, this is one I would definatley buy if it ever makes it out on DVD. Its not the sort of movie I would watch often. But I remember being blown away by it at the theatre. It's the only movie I remember actually sheading a tear in. It is amazing (and terrible) what the human race is capable of!

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by peter0302
The answer is that Spielberg (like Lucas) has some mentla thing about DVDs. Look at how long Indiana Jones is taking.
I think the "mental thing" as you put it is theft. Both of them have spoken openly about DVD and neither of them like the format because of the pirating possibilities. Lucas has stated outright "Star Wars" (Episode IV), he included Empire and Jedi as well, "will never be released on DVD." The reason is piracy. Take a look on ebay and you will see loads of these films on VCD and DVD. Of course those are ALL bootlegs. All of the Indiana Jones and Schindler's List DVDs are also boots.

I imagine that if they figure out how to "properly protect" them, we will see these films on DVD after-all. If I remember correctly Spielberg said something similar about Schindler's List and included Indiana Jones so we may see them before the encoding hits. Don't hold your breath though.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If theft is such a problem, why did Lucas release the Phantom Menace and AOTC on DVD? I don't understand how withholding episodes 4-6 will make a difference.

Schindler's List is a fantastic movie to have in one's collection. Why was the LD released? Can LDs not be copied?

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
Quote:
If theft is such a problem, why did Lucas release the Phantom Menace and AOTC on DVD? I don't understand how withholding episodes 4-6 will make a difference.
You would have to write to George Lucas and ask him. But I don't think you'll get an answer. He has already been asked thousands of times and that was what he said. He answered this question on one of the "extras" on one of the DVDs he did release. I wish I could remember which one it was on. I think it was either on "American Grafitti: Collector's Edition" or "Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace" but I'm not sure.

Quote:
Schindler's List is a fantastic movie to have in one's collection. Why was the LD released? Can LDs not be copied?
Good point but when the man in charge says "No" were kinda stuck. You could always write him a "fan" letter.

Your best bet is to get the old VHS copy (or LD if you have a player) and make do for now. They both look and sound better than the bootleg DVDs anyway. Come to think of it, I read that the bootleg DVDs for "Schindler's List" are copies of the laser disk. I have seen one and I would agree with this. You don't want it. And regardless of what you see on ebay they are not DTS and they are not in 5.1 surround.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
I thought i read a report stating the film was coming out early next year, and spielberg has strongly supported the dvd format, just look at ET he was the one who said both the original AND the new version should be released (( george lucas take note )), there are loads of spielberg films available to buy on dvd.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Schindler's List should arrive next year as a Collector's Edition dvd.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hey Glass,

Your right, GL has said that 2005 (after EPIII) he would release the Original Trilogy on DVD. He mentioned he wanted to do something 'Special' with them and didn't have the time right now. Now who knows what 'Special' means. Some have speculated inserting new footage to make the whole series flow better or something to that degree.

Although that is a topic for a whole other flame war :D

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Wedlock
Schindler's List should arrive next year as a Collector's Edition dvd.
Schindler's List next year? Are you absolutely sure about this? Would DTS be too much to ask for?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
"I think the "mental thing" as you put it is theft. Both of them have spoken openly about DVD and neither of them like the format because of the pirating possibilities. Lucas has stated outright "Star Wars" (Episode IV), he included Empire and Jedi as well, "will never be released on DVD." The reason is piracy. Take a look on ebay and you will see loads of these films on VCD and DVD. Of course those are ALL bootlegs. All of the Indiana Jones and Schindler's List DVDs are also boots."

Uh, you don't know what you're talking about. Go to TheForce.net and search for DVD. The Star Wars original trilogy DVDs will be released after Episode III is completed. The reason is so that Lucas can obsess over the transfer and authoring like he does with everything else.

As for theft, the DVD piracy problem is virtually nonexistant. For one thing, DVD sales have steadily increased since they began. For another, it's currently very difficult for the average person to pirate a DVD, and probably always will be unless and until recordable dual-layer disks become available. Currently, to truly pirate a DVD, you must break up the movie and re-author it. It's also a very time-consuming and hard-drive intensive process, and by the time most people can do it, HD-DVDs will be available.

So to say this is about piracy is ludicrious.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by peter0302

[BAs for theft, the DVD piracy problem is virtually nonexistant. For one thing, DVD sales have steadily increased since they began. For another, it's currently very difficult for the average person to pirate a DVD, and probably always will be unless and until recordable dual-layer disks become available. Currently, to truly pirate a DVD, you must break up the movie and re-author it. It's also a very time-consuming and hard-drive intensive process, and by the time most people can do it, HD-DVDs will be available.[/b]
Peter - though I think you are right about piracy not being the reason for Speilberg and Lucas' DVD issues - you are way behind the times on DVD piracy. Copying a DVD is a brainless one-click process that anyone can do. You can either span 2 discs or compress to deal with dual layer discs.

We get a number of posts on these forums about people wanting to pirate DVD's, and a ton of people talking about "backing-up" DVD's. Now considering that most people can't be bothered to back up fragile and important stuff - like their hard drives - and considering that DVD's are pretty darn durable, I've got a sneaking suspicion some of them are doing more than making archive copies.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm pretty sure we will see Schindler's List in 2004.

It was planned for this year but due to the fact that Indiana Jones is coming out they took it of the list.

When it comes you can expect a Collector's Edition release with DTS sound and some extra's as well.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Quote:
GL has said that 2005 (after EPIII) he would release the Original Trilogy on DVD.
Actually, he's said he WON'T release the Original Trilogy. What he has said is that he'll release digitally modified versions of the original films (including changes to characters) in order to conform to what he thinks the films should be like now, as opposed to then, and he's said a big "tough ****" to those who want the original films.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.