AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to pick out a receiver and need to know what to look for as far as Decoders, or other important things , I'm in the 300-400$ range of things, so I guess its pretty low end,

what"features" makes the biggest diff in price between low and high end AV receivers,

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Just kind of depends what features you need. In the low end, things will be pretty bare-boned. Just make sure you have enough inputs for what you need, and HDMI audio support if you need that. Otherwise, most receivers will all be pretty similar.

Something like Audyssey would be a very nice plus.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
If the room you are filling with sound is small to medium such that 50W/channel isn't going to strain the amp or damage your speakers, the Marantz NR 1501 is a good AVR just within that price range (its MSRP was higher, but it has been reduced substantially due to a newer model making this one obsolete). It can be found online easily with a quick search.

It has plenty of features for that price range, including four HDMI inputs and one HDMI output, decoding of the lossless audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio, and a basic proprietary form of room correction and speaker calibration that is similar to what Audyssey does.

I've got one for a bedroom system and I have been pleased with it so far (had for 2 months).

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LennyX /forum/post/19545287

Marantz NR 1501 or DENON 591?

Wow. The Denon looks like an incredible deal. It's got 75W per channel and Audyssey, vs. the comparable Marantz's 50W per channel and Marantz's proprietary room correction software and microphone (which is inferior to Audyssey's), and it's $50 less. It also features legacy S-video (if you need it, whereas the Marantz does not, but I don't need it in the room in which I am using mine). Based on features and no other considerations, the Denon wins. I understand Denon's manuals are difficult to understand, and the setup is relatively hard compared to other brands. To me, that would be the only "con."

One other consideration is that the Marantz was designed for tight fits and is a "slim" design, meaning it is not as tall as most comparable AVRs. That makes it attractive for installation in small AV racks or custom shelves.

I doubt you would be dissatisfied with either AVR, provided they have sufficient power for your room. Keep in mind that Marantz and Denon AVRs are often built on substantially the same chassis, as they are sister companies owned by the same parent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts