AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if this post is in the wrong forum, this is my first post.

I am in the market for a home audio system but don't know what is availabe on the market or what exactly will suit my needs. Here are the requirements that need to be met:

1) Turntable compatibility: I have a very basic Nexxtech turntable with the standard red/white input jacks

2) CD changer

3) Radio tuner with a handful of presets (I don't have a TV so I use the FM for news and local sports)

4) Digital media input for my Zen player and everyone else's iPods.

5) Potential for a Sirius Sat Radio hookup. I don't have Sirius yet, but it will probably be in my future.

I have learned that a pre-fab shelf system probably won't suit my needs so I am looking for the other option. I have a decent sized budget for this so a mid range to high end system is what I am after. What do I require? What brands are the most reliable? If you can dumb down the responses as well it would really help me out.

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothmandan /forum/post/15586144

Please forgive me if this post is in the wrong forum, this is my first post.

I am in the market for a home audio system but don't know what is availabe on the market or what exactly will suit my needs. Here are the requirements that need to be met:

1) Turntable compatibility: I have a very basic Nexxtech turntable with the standard red/white input jacks

2) CD changer

3) Radio tuner with a handful of presets (I don't have a TV so I use the FM for news and local sports)

4) Digital media input for my Zen player and everyone else's iPods.

5) Potential for a Sirius Sat Radio hookup. I don't have Sirius yet, but it will probably be in my future.

I have learned that a pre-fab shelf system probably won't suit my needs so I am looking for the other option. I have a decent sized budget for this so a mid range to high end system is what I am after. What do I require? What brands are the most reliable? If you can dumb down the responses as well it would really help me out.

Thanks

Way too many choices available, way too little information to make recommendations. Couple of points:

Turntable inputs are rare, preamps to do what you want easily available.

Three things are important; speakers, speakers, and speakers. Figure out those first, build your system around them.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
At the most basic, what you require is a receiver (which includes an AM/FM tuner and a amplifier) plus a set of speakers. Any receiver will have enough inputs for all of your source components (CD, Sirius, iPod, etc.). But it may not have an input for your turntable, in which case you'll have to add a separate phono preamp.

Questions:

Do you want 2-channel sound or multi-channel sound?

Have you got room for large speakers (and how large is your room)?

Can you give us some idea of a budget? $500? $1500? $3000?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15590402

At the most basic, what you require is a receiver (which includes an AM/FM tuner and a amplifier) plus a set of speakers. Any receiver will have enough inputs for all of your source components (CD, Sirius, iPod, etc.). But it may not have an input for your turntable, in which case you'll have to add a separate phono preamp.

Questions:

Do you want 2-channel sound or multi-channel sound?

Have you got room for large speakers (and how large is your room)?

Can you give us some idea of a budget? $500? $1500? $3000?

Thanks for the response. This was the sort of info I was looking for.

For sound channels - I think that multi-channel sound would be preferable (does this mean 2.0 vs 5.1?).

I have some space for speakers, but my apartment is not that large so they can't be massive.

Budget wise I would probably spend close to $1500 if the system was right and could easily be turned into part of a home theater when I finally decide to buy a television.

I appreciate the response and hope that more Q and A will lead to an answer to my problem.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
OK, here's what I'd be looking at in your shoes:

1) An A/V receiver, since you want to do home theater eventually. Here's a couple of recommendations.

2) A phono preamp, since your receiver won't have one. This is good enough.

3) A CD changer. No recommendations here. Sound quality isn't an issue here; longevity is. All of them seem to have reliability issues.

4) Two speakers and a subwoofer. Two brands with good reputations are Paradigm and PSB. But you should shop around and listen to what's available to you locally.

Then when you've bought your TV, all you'll need to complete the set-up are a center channel and two surround speakers, plus a DVD player (almost certainly Blu-Ray by that time).

·
Registered
775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothmandan /forum/post/15591826

Thanks for the response. This was the sort of info I was looking for.

For sound channels - I think that multi-channel sound would be preferable (does this mean 2.0 vs 5.1?).

I have some space for speakers, but my apartment is not that large so they can't be massive.

Budget wise I would probably spend close to $1500 if the system was right and could easily be turned into part of a home theater when I finally decide to buy a television.

Just as a side note on speakers, if your room is small, you should get small speakers. Not satellite speakers, but small bookshelves. This will give you the best sound quality and save you lots of money. Put the extra money you would save on a good subwoofer. I can recommend the Paradigm Atom. They are cheap, sound really good, and get very very loud.

On the CD player side I've had a few. None have ever broken down on me. I had a Kenwood changer years ago that was absolutely wonderful. I later had a Sony with an optical output. I don't have either anymore because I gave them away. If you're gonna use a digital output from a changer, the sound quality from the player's circuitry doesn't matter as you will be using the receiver's circuitry instead. What does matter is tray eject speed, carousel speed, and the ability to play a disc while changing out other discs. My Kenwood was great in all these respects. The carousel was very quick and the discs loaded quickly after switching discs. Very smooth and easy to operate and was quick to respond to front pannel and remote commands. I've worked a sluggish and clunky changer before and I just about threw the stupid thing out the window.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts