AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a set of Polk RTi10s in my home theater and I've been fairly satisfied with them, though the upgrade bug is always there.

Lately I have been perusing Audiogon and Craigslist for a set of floorstanding B&W or Dynaudio speakers. I've not had a chance to audition any of them, and am usually skeptical of brick-and-mortar stores since their displays are often in a state of disrepair and the rooms are vastly different from a typical home (enormous ceilings, weird wall treatments, etc). Still, Best Buy/Magnolia and some other smaller places do carry these brands so it might be helpful to at least get a baseline. Dynaudio USA is actually less than a half-hour drive from me.

I know very little of these brands other than what their websites state, and of course the highly-subjective posts I see across the Internet. What do I need to know about these two brands? What is the value sweet-spot for their floorstanding models? Bear in mind I will probably stick with some gently-used ones to keep the price reasonable -- under $1000.

My room is roughly 18x18x8, 95% of my listening is movies/TV, and they'll be driven by a Marantz SR5005, though I am probably picking up some Marantz mono-blocks shortly.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
If Dynaudio USA is less than 30 minutes away I would drive down there to get a demo on some speakers. Then you'll actually get to listen for yourself vs going by other people's opinions.

That's a no brainer.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1524246/school-me-on-b-w-and-dynaudio-floorstanding-speakers#post_24527801

If Dynaudio USA is less than 30 minutes away I would drive down there to get a demo on some speakers. Then you'll actually get to listen for yourself vs going by other people's opinions.

That's a no brainer.

They do not have a showroom/demo room at their headquarters. There are a few authorized resellers in the Chicago suburbs, though I'm always skeptical since salespeople can be very pushy and distracting. Regardless, I'm still looking for the "inside" info on good multi-use speakers would be. Every brand seems to have that sweet spot that balances performance and price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts