AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently purchased a Panny 42PX60U. Now, I'm trying to figure out what sort of power, sound, and dvd player to get. I realize that I should probably make a thread in this area, another one in the dvd area, and yet one more in the speaker area. However, I thought I'd give it a shot all at once to give a full account of what I need overall. If the mods or others think I should split it up, I'll proceed according to their wishes...

To start, I currently have an older AV setup (some might even say it's ancient...):

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V495

CD Player: Yamaha CDC-575

DVD Player: Panasonic RV32

DVD Recorder: Liteon LVW-5116GHC

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U590

Speakers: Center: Energy XL-C, Front: (2) Energy XL-16, Rear: (2) Sony SS-MB115 (basically 140W speakers), Sub: KLH 100W (powered)

I'm thinking about using the Energy speakers and the KLH sub in my new setup. They're not bad and put out plenty for my needs. I 'm thinking about replacing the Sonys with something smaller and wall mountable.

Here are the current options I'm considering. I'm going with DirectTV HD programming. I would like to have HDMI connectivity for the STB and DVD. I'll use optical digital for the sound. This way, I won't need to purchase a receiver with HDMI ports. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated. I would like to keep the cost at around $400.

First option:

Receiver: Panasonic SA-XR57S

DVD: Panasonic S52S

Rear Speakers: Polk R15's

I can get all of this for close to $450. There are a number of good things about this setup not least of which being that I would have Panny TV, Receiver, and DVD

Next:

Receiver: Onkyo SR504S

DVD: Oppo 970HD

Speakers: Polk R15's

I can get this setup for closer to $400

OR

After reading the encouraging comments on this forum about the Onkyo HTIB, I'm also contemplating the 590S and 790S

Okay, now it's time to school the noob

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnnDenver,

Indeed, that would be another option, but that would put me at $500, which is a bit more than I wanted to spend.

Does a decision like this simply come down to price and preference? Do you or others think that all 3 receivers are comparable?

Also, is my approach to my speaker situation reasonable?

I really am a noob to all of this. All that I've learned, I've learned over the last couple of weeks, most of which I learned lurking in this forum.

Thanks for your input.

Steve

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
That Panasonic gets decent marks for it's HDMI handling, that puts it over the top for me personally.

The funny thing about AVR's is that most in similar price ranges, will perform very similarly.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I am surprised you are happy with the KLH sub. I did not know they made anything good

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know, I know... the sub was a gift a few years back and I don't have the cash to fork out for a new one at this point...

On top of that, I'm not quite the AV conoseiur that many others are on this forum. I have a ways to go in training my ear

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys,

After thinking about it some more and doing a bit more research, I decided to get the 790 htib. I like the idea of getting the SR504 and all the speakers. I think the Onkyo sub will be an improvement over my KLH, plus I'll be able to experience 7.1 surround...

By the way, shoponkyo is having a killer sale on the SR504S right now for club members... It almost swayed me to stick with the plan of piecing together my ht system, but I think I'll be happy with the set.

Now, I just need to get my hands on an Oppo 970HD. Hopefully, they'll be available sometime next week. In the meantime, I'm watching the thread on the comparison between the Oppo 970HD and the Sony NS75H. Perhaps I'll be persuaded to go with the Sony, who knows?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.