AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first DVD where I noticed a difference between the audio and video timing. The audio was probably about 1/8 to 1/4 second ahead of the video. Anyone know whats going on? Why would this be different than other DVDs? I have a Denon 3801 and the DVD is coming out of a Panasonic RV80 through a DVDO iScan Pro.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Umm...I experienced no sound sync delay problems when I viewed Shrek on my system, which use a Lexicon pre/pro for sound processing.

I don't think there are problems with the DVDs, but I could also be wrong.

Anyway, does your pre/pro facilities allows for some sort of automatic or manual sync adjustments? I'd try this first before exchanging the DVD. Good luck on your quest!...

-THTS

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RJS
This is the first DVD where I noticed a difference between the audio and video timing. The audio was probably about 1/8 to 1/4 second ahead of the video. Anyone know whats going on? Why would this be different than other DVDs? I have a Denon 3801 and the DVD is coming out of a Panasonic RV80 through a DVDO iScan Pro.

Thanks.
I'll bet it's the iScan. That's the reason I didn't get one myself. I have read many posts that it causes the delay because it takes longer to do all that video processing. Some people have run digital delays to their speakers to cancel out the effect, but that seems like a lot of trouble. Try hooking it up direct without the iScan and see if there is still a delay and let us know! (you may not have noticed the delay on other discs as much; and unfortunately you might notice it now on some others now that it caught your attention)

good luck?!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried to troubleshoot this issue by running the DVD directly to the projector (using S-Video) as opposed to through the iScan Pro. This allowed me to flip back and forth, to compare.

(1) There was no noticeable difference between the direct feed, and the iScan Pro feed - with respect to timing, that is. The IScan output was much better as far as resolution.

(2) I determined that maybe I was being too discerning when I watched the film for the first time last night. Shrek's voice and the donkey's voice are acceptable. It is only when the princess speaks where I think it is wrong.

(3) So I think it is just the limitations of using animation. I think I recall having a similar comment when I watched ToyStory 2. It was right when I got my home theater, and I was very focused on every little thing. Then all other motion picture DVDs never had an issue.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Quote:
...I was being too discerning...
Perhaps, but I notice exactly the same things that you do about animated features. I think some of the quick jabber is simply difficult to animate correctly, especially when the character's mouth is small like Princess Fiona's. For some reason, the characters with the larger mouths always seem more expressive and "correct."

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I just watched Shrek about 30 minutes ago and noticed the same thing with Fiona's voice at times, but did not perceive it to be a technical problem. It's just the way it is.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I also have the RV80 and did not notice this. I did notice that Toy Story 2 has some lip syncing problems. I had a Pioneer DV-09 at the time, so I haven't checked TS2 recently with my RV80.

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.