AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had no less than 3 3100's and 2 3100hd's and not one of them sends me digital audio from any channels under 100. I get 5.1 Dolby Dig and 2.0 from anything above 100 but cant make it work on the "analog package". What is the status of other member's 3100's??

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Time Warner in NYC added digital audio to most 2-100 channels here a year ago. All but a few 2-100 channels are now digital video/audio. With about 10:1 MPEG-2 compression a cable system can duplicate ~100 legacy analog channels, requiring ~600 MHz, in only 10 MHz of cable sprectrum. The change depends on your cable system. -- John

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
As long as your cable operator is sending analog on those channels, you will only get analog audio out. Cox cable here in the San Diego area uses analog on channels 2 to 99, and I get the same thing you are describing.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
mattro,

It's a limitation of the 3100. Hopefully, you have a home theater receiver that will autoswitch/autodetect between the analog and digital inputs when both are connected.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's not a limitation of the 3100 -- it's that channels 2-99 are analog channels, and never had digital audio encoded with those signals in the first place. The box can't provide what isn't there.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
gm,

The fact that the 3100 can't output PCM / stereo over the digital output using an internal A/D converter is a limitation of the 3100. Virtually all the newer cable HDTV STBs do output audio for analog channels through the digital audio output-- the 3100 is one of the few that does not.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Sony 895 which I love and does exactly what you mentioned, BFDTV, however I have to re-set it A LOT . I have 3 options-1-fixed analog,2- auto 2 channel and 3- fixed coax//there is also an AUTO DECODING option as part of my "environments" choices. There is also an odd setting by where you set the audio+video for each input: audio comes up and you spin the selector switch for whatever audio source you want to hear on that input. then you do the same for the vide. I've never used the function, I plugged my sources in and renamed the inputs(which is a great feature) to coincide with Tivo,DishPVR,DirecTV and such. I always had the analog and digital audio feed from the 3100 but recently it will be working fine and then all of a sudden I will go to an analog channel and get no audio. No audio until I start hitting buttons. I get it to work but dont know how I did it. when it goes again I am again hitting buttons. You wouild think AUTO2Channel or AutoDecode would be all I need but no. The exact answer eludes me.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bfdtv
gm,

The fact that the 3100 can't output PCM / stereo over the digital output using an internal A/D converter is a limitation of the 3100. Virtually all the newer cable HDTV STBs do output audio for analog channels through the digital audio output--
I know the Moto 5100 does, in PCM format.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
It does for me, but i hav to be tuned into HBO, SHO, Cine, to get Digital out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.