AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I'm hopefully getting a SA3250HD box to replace the SA3100HD I've been using for quite some time. If I set it to output all HD channels to 1080i and all non-HD channels to 480i or 480p does it auto switch as I change from a HD channel to a non-HD channel?

Also, anyone who switched from a 3100 to a 3250. Does the 3250 have that same annoying hazy/foggy look on the HD channels that the 3100 had? Thanks for any and all input on this.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bama. I'm getting it from local TWC office. Part of the Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville NC devision.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Sorry to get off the subject here Daryl, but I have a question about the SA boxes.

I have the Scientific Atlanta 4200HD box. Does anyone know if that's the most "advanced" box SA has or is there another better one I should ask my cable company for?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tom,

I think the 4200's and 3250's are both fairly knew. The 4200's I beleive came out shortly after the 3250's or their a step up from the 3250's.

I could be wrong but I think this is the order of production?

2000's

3100's

3250's

4200's

8000's (DVR's)

Check them out here: http://www.sciatl.com/consumers/index.htm

Bama,

I honestly have no idea. I asked my friend and he didn't know either. TWC kinda dwindle new boxes in gradually. Morrisville gets a shipment in and distributes them out to all the area offices as they see fit. Most areas of the Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville devision should get some in this week. The bigger the area the more boxes they'll most likely get. Fayetteville should et more than my local office, Raleigh and Durham offices should get more than Fayetteville. Kinda worked like this when they started deploying the 200oHD and same for the 3100HD around here.

When I read the TWC customers in Columbia SC were getting 3250HD boxes recently I knew the time for for us to start getting them was not far off.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My 3250 doesn't switch resolutions automatically. I have to switch them manually. Of course, I had to disable 480i since the Samsung DLP HD component inputs won't take it, but I'm pretty sure that's besides the point.

Also note that it has a pretty crappy deinterlacer, as deinterlacers go.

Being able to switch them -at all- is pretty handy, though!

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but when I hit the # key on the remote for my 3270HD, it sets the box to automatically stretch the image for non-HD channels. There are 3 settings; normal, stretch, and zoom. I usually change TV inputs though as I prefer my Hitachi's 4:3 Expanded mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just traded in my 3100hd for the 3250hd this morning. I now have everything hooked up like before, but there seems to be an annoying difference. With the 3100hd, I used the s-video output for all SD programming and component of course for HD. Both outputs behaved the same, but my 4x3 set had black and grey bars on non-HD stuff through the component output. With the 3250, I cannot see the guide or info bar across the bottom through the s-video output. If I press guide on the remote, nothing appears to happen when viewing s-video. I can then switch to component and see the guide already being displayed. Has anyone else had this problem? Aside from this(hopefully I have something set wrong) the box seems like an improvement. Menus etc. move faster and the box seems to do a better job of upconverting SD to HD.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, unfortunately I won't be getting my box. My friend contacted me and he was pissed. He said TWC have the 3250HD's in Raleigh and Fayetteville. They would'nt allow him to get and deploy any though. They CLAIMED! that all the older 3100HD boxes had to be deployed before they could start deploying the 3250HD's. He went so far as to say that it was sorry public relations and asked my to post this information about TWC's actions about this in the Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville area. He's hoping this will help draw attention and requests to our areas offices to get them released. He said that these new 3250HD's are to replace the 3100HD's and not be added to there use and to bring back customers they lost because of the black bars on the 3100HD's.

If your in the Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville area, call requesting the 3250HD's. They'll most likely claim not to have them, but if bugged enough maybe they'll come to their senses.

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by matthew_earl
With the 3250, I cannot see the guide or info bar across the bottom through the s-video output. If I press guide on the remote, nothing appears to happen when viewing s-video. I can then switch to component and see the guide already being displayed. Has anyone else had this problem?
This is a known problem with the 32XX series (3250/3270). S-A is working on a software upgrade to correct the IPG problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the same problem with the 4200HD box, no guide through S-Video only component.

Also it does not auto switch formats 1080i/480p/480i when you change channels. It must be done manually.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have a Samsung SIR-T151 terrestrial HD receiver and it doesn't show the guide or banners on the s-video output either. I beleive the composite and s-video outputs on these boxes are designed only for recording to a VCR and the graphics can only get in the way. They probably expect you to use component video only for connection to the TV.

·
Registered
124 Posts
JohnnyG,

Any idea from your contact(s) at Rogers when they will be releasing the 3250HD and/or 8000HD?

Dewi

P.S. Shame about DHC Forums ending

·
Registered
10,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDAZ
This is a known problem with the 32XX series (3250/3270). S-A is working on a software upgrade to correct the IPG problem.
I guess it's a problem with more than just the 32XX series boxes. Seems like all, or most, of S-A's boxes suffer the problem. Guess they assume that once you start watching HD, that's all you'll watch. :)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hmmmm. That is strange. I have a 3100HD and it shows the banners and guide on my component feed and my other feed (although I cannot recall whether I went with composite or S-Video). I'm running both to a Fujitsu P50 so I don't have to look at black bars on SD channels. For just casual watching, the stretch mode is fine for me.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDAZ
I guess it's a problem with more than just the 32XX series boxes. Seems like all, or most, of S-A's boxes suffer the problem.
My mistake -- I guess I should have posted this quote with my reply.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.