AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
If the first 3 episodes offer any indication, this means that
William
is the only survivor ... :D
I did say the most annoying characters, not the only annoying characters. :)

Reactions: JRock3x8

·
Registered
693 Posts
The OA

The power of the dance "movements" and the music is beautiful and profound. Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij has created something fabulous The OA does reach the thought-provoking profundity the show aims for. 2 Season's Netflix will not fund a 3rd which I find absurd.

92%
TOMATOMETER
Critic Ratings: 36
89%
AUDIENCE SCORE
User Ratings: 1013

The OA fan theory suggests Netflix cancellation is fake and a publicity stunt for season 3
"This show is way too popular to be gone."

The OA is a bizarre new sci-fi world, but this show is unlike any you've seen-ludicrous and frustrating as well as beautiful and profound.

Created and written by Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij (The East), the Netflix original delves into the inexplicable reappearance of Prairie Johnson (Marling). Having gone missing seven years ago, the previously blind Johnson returns home, now in her late 20s and with her sight restored. While many believe she is miracle, others worry that she could be dangerous.

It's a lofty, sometimes-moving, sometimes-profound rumination on a host of deep questions: on trauma, spirituality, human connection, and the possibility of life after death, among other things. It unfurls slowly into a cerebral sci-fi mystery.

There's the specter of an adolescence spent in medication-induced depression. There are nosebleed-inducing dreams she's convinced are dark premonitions. There's a love story, a few kidnappings, immoral science, interdimensional travel, magical healing, an Indian goddess, and a spellbinding dance I can only describe as the choreographic equivalent of two furiously hissing cats.

It's gorgeously shot and powerfully acted, especially by Marling, who can be startling and mesmerizing and sweet, all while telegraphing otherworldly intelligence. I really dig "The OA's" cerebral takes on indie sci-fi .

The power of the dance "movements" and the music is beautiful and profound.The power of the dance will make total sense if you watch the series ! The OA show sparked an internet sensation.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hardware (1990) 9/10 score bump for my nostalgia of this film. VUDU - Blu-Ray

Richard Stanley's cyberpunk indie sci-fi thriller stars Dylan McDermott as Mo, a survivor of a post-apocalyptic future world who makes a living selling salvaged machinery. When some robot parts he's collected rebuild themselves, the reborn creature sets out on a murder spree.

Hardware turned me on to the band'Ministry, Iggy Pop, Gwar, Motorhead , Public Image LTD. Nearly two decades later, Hardware retains its merciless poise, and while the filmmaker has slipped into obscurity, his finest work still lunges for the throat.

Director Richard Stanley come out of Hiatus in a big way in 2019

The Toronto International Film Festival just got interesting for fans of Nicolas Cage and H.P. Lovecraft. Director Richard Stanley, who directed the indie sci-fi cult film HARDWARE, will be screening his highly anticipated Lovecraft adaptation The Color Out of Space. 2019 Cage is set to star as an "unhinged patriarch" who must contend with the insidious effects of a meteor that lands on his property. It seems reasonably safe to expect a little weirdness. September 2019 Toronto International Film Festival Midnight Madness

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/298445/tiff-2019-full-midnight-madness-lineup-sees-world-premiere-of-richard-stanleys-color-out-of-space/

This film should be a surreal trip ..... Nicolas Cage in an H.P. Lovecraft story...SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

https://www.imdb.com/review/rw5088524/?ref_=tt_urv

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Appreciate the reviews, Rob.

B5 marathon on Comet TV this weekend, fyi.

Sony Crackle also has Aliens free w/ads right now. I apparently watched some of it while I was asleep last night, because it was on when I woke up after falling asleep watching something else. :eek:

Crackle also still has the "classic" Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone, Starman, Muppets in Space, Moon (haven't seen it, but I believe someone else here liked it), and a lower-budget zom flick called Extinction. And some other odds and ends.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Close Encounters was before my time.

It might seem a little hokey to audiences now. But I enjoyed it when it was first released, and went to back to see it several times in theaters. And might still suggest giving it a look some time. It is one of Spielberg's better efforts imo. And made my top 5 SF list for the 70's.

As with a number of Spielberg's pictures, the home video releases have left something to be desired. Maybe the remastered UHD will fix some of that. Or maybe it won't. If there's a 2k remaster, I might try to check that out when I have some bread again.

If it shows up on one of the freebie streaming svcs though, I'll try to point it out.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #270

·
Registered
742 Posts
Anyone watched eden log or pandorum?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Didn't they jack up the price though, to be more in line with NF and some other services?

If Disney does free w/ads streaming, I'll definitely get on board with that. :)
No, Disney + will be 6.99 a month on it's own with no ads. You might have seen the bundle of Disney + , Hulu limited commercials, and ESPN + The bundle will cost less than individual prices which would be Disney + at 6.99, Hulu limited commercials (no live programming) at 5.99, and ESPN + at 4.99 the bundle will cost 12.99 (All prices per month). I think it's a good deal for 13 bucks.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/6/20757626/disney-plus-espn-hulu-bundle-price-date-streaming-service
Disney announces $12.99 bundle for Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #280 (Edited)

Watched Independence Day: Resurgence yesterday with Liam Hemsworth and Jeff Goldblum on Blu-ray.

This is a pretty silly movie, that leans heavily on CG effects. But I still enjoyed it, except for the rather garish blue & red tinting on the picture. The movie was shot all digital. But it still has a somewhat filmic look to it. So it wasn't as hard for me to watch as some other digital features.

Blacks are slightly elevated on the Blu-ray imo. That may have been intentional though to ensure that the shadow detail was visible (since this is a pretty dark movie overall). Imo, it'll probably look best on displays with very deep blacks, such as OLED.

For those who want to dig a little more into the technical details, there's a fairly good article on the cinematography here.

261 - 280 of 451 Posts