AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are two audio outputs, the analog (L-R stereo RCA), and the digital (coax).

Sorry if these are stupid questions:

1.) Is all HD programming in Dolby Digital?

2.) If I'm watching a HD program with Dolby Digital, do I HAVE to use the coax output?

3.) If I'm watching SDTV, can the coax output pass analog audio?

Right now I have just an L-R analog output to my receiver and I get audio just fine. I turned it on Showtime HD, it was showing a SD movie. I was only able to get sound out of the analog output.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mindsink
There are two audio outputs, the analog (L-R stereo RCA), and the digital (coax).

Sorry if these are stupid questions:

1.) Is all HD programming in Dolby Digital?

2.) If I'm watching a HD program with Dolby Digital, do I HAVE to use the coax output?

3.) If I'm watching SDTV, can the coax output pass analog audio?

Right now I have just an L-R analog output to my receiver and I get audio just fine. I turned it on Showtime HD, it was showing a SD movie. I was only able to get sound out of the analog output.
I have the SA 3100 used with an Onkyo TX-DS989. The 989 will accept any of various digital sound codings such as stereo PCM or DD. The 989 can recognise the format and switch automatically to decode the format. I only have the digital signal hooked up and not the stereo. Now to answer your questions:

1.) I seem to recall that some HDTV programs are in stereo PCM, but I'm not sure about this. I do know that SDTV can be coded in any of several formats. I recall seeing the 989 automatically switch between modes.

2.) No. the 3100 will decode to stereo, however you will only get two of the 6 channels this way.

3.) yes. I receive stereo using only digital audio often.

On why you can receive showtime HD sound, maybe there is something in your receiver that is not set up right. Or maybe the proper sound format needs to be selected. Does your receiver auto select?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.