AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any discrete on/off codes for the Scientific Atlanta 8000 PVR box? I have an MX-700 which can accept Pront ccf files.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I'd like to know if there are any discrete codes for any of the Scientific Atlanta boxes. If so, then it will probably work on my 3100HD too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
AFAIK, there are no discrete codes for ANY SA box.

I dunno about the PVR, but on the rest of the boxes, it uses the exact same amount of energy when ON vs OFF, so many people just leave it on all the time.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
The main problem is the clock display of a Scientific Atlanta box can be extremely bright. My box doesn't have a way to turn off the clock display or autohide after a few seconds after changing the channel. My main equipment is at the front of the room below my screen for aesthetic and household reasons. During DVD movies where I use my projector, I'd like to have my equipment as dark as possible -- and the Scientific Atlanta box is far by the brightest box of my bunch! So I can't leave it on all the time.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mark, If nothing else helps, just stick a piece of a semi-transparent film.

By the way, great review on Harmony remote!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am just afraid that if I keep it on all the time, it can't be to good for the hard drive recording 24 hours a day.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Jon SS,

Computer hard disk drives actually last longer if you keep them on all the time rather than power cycling them. That's a well known computer industry fact. Heat expansion and motor wear from warmup-cooldown spinup-spindown is worse than keeping the hard disk running 24 hours a day. The heads are parked anyway.

I don't know if the 8000 PVR puts the hard disk in sleep mode but if the power consumption is the same, then the hard disk is still spinning even in the OFF state. (maybe you can try listening to the 8000 PVR, to see if the hard disk is still spinning) (try unplugging an 8000 PVR while it's "off" -- if you hear a hard disk spindown, then the hard disk was spinning while the 8000 PVR was in its so-called "OFF" mode)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mark, I will listen to it tonight. Does the spining sound like a whirring?

·
Registered
264 Posts
based upon 2 things:

1. I can hear the hard drive spinning while off.

2. It still records while off.

I am of the opinion that the HD is always running when the 8000 PVR is "off"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.