AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am surprised that no one else has posted this (or did they?), but the specifications of the SA 8000HD are now available.

Can be found here .

Your thoughts?

Kerry

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
I do like that the spec sheet specifies 160Gb.

I've used the 8000, and got to see a 8000HD beta briefly. I really do hope they've improved the responsiveness of the unit since then, because when I had it, it was noticeably slower than the latest PVRs from Dish and DirecTV.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm not into time-shifting since I like movies, not TV shows, and want to keep them. So firewire is a must. Lo and behold...

"Optional dual IEEE 1394 ouputs with 5C copy protection (will require a software enhancement download when available)."

Hopefully it'll be available soon!!

-Pie

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
I expect to see this box more widely deployed next spring and summer.

A few lucky souls may get them in the next 3-4 months.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm also very happy to see the larger hard drives... was afraid they might stay with the 80 GB drive which would severely limit the amount of HD recordings.

However, disappointed by two things:

1. The DVI output apparently won't be active initially - given Scientific Atlanta's track record with including various connections without ever activating them makes me wonder if DVI will ever be activated... but I guess we can hope that this will happen soon.

2. No mention of the ability to send recorded programs to other cable boxes as described in this thread - I think this would be a great feature, but at the same time I wouldn't want to see this box delayed in order to integrate it.

Thanks for the post, kjnorman!

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Descolada
1. The DVI output apparently won't be active initially - given Scientific Atlanta's track record with including various connections without ever activating them makes me wonder if DVI will ever be activated... but I guess we can hope that this will happen soon.
Exactly what have you read which makes this apparent to you? There are cable boxes widely deployed with active DVI/HDCP connections today. It would be a step backwards for any new HD STB to not have them.

Or were you referring to the 1394/DTCP connections? I could care less about them on a PVR, since I have no interest in archiving.

As for SA's track record of not activating connections, what they do is various external data interfaces as options to their customers (the cable companies); the customers might use those connections to implement some proprietary service that they want to offer. The spec sheet does not list DVI/HDCP among the optional features of this STB--it's standard.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott
Exactly what have you read which makes this apparent to you? There are cable boxes widely deployed with active DVI/HDCP connections today. It would be a step backwards for any new HD STB to not have them.

Or were you referring to the 1394/DTCP connections? I could care less about them on a PVR, since I have no interest in archiving.

As for SA's track record of not activating connections, what they do is various external data interfaces as options to their customers (the cable companies); the customers might use those connections to implement some proprietary service that they want to offer. The spec sheet does not list DVI/HDCP among the optional features of this STB--it's standard.

From the spec sheet linked in the original post:

Quote:
Optional DVI 1.0 Digital HDTV Output with HDCP Copy Protection (will require a software enhancement download when available)
This certainly makes it sound to me like the DVI HDCP connection is both optional and not initially available... although there's no note at the bottom of the spec sheet of separate part numbers with or without the DVI connection. I agree that it would be a step backwards not to include this feature on a new box, which is why I'm disappointed that it sounds like it won't be usable on the 8000HD when it's introduced. If anyone has any solid information to the contrary, I'd love to hear it! :)

The 1394 connection is indeed one example of a connection that I've never seen activated on a Scientific Atlanta box - I've also seen USB connections that were never activated. I do understand that at some point it's up to the individual cable company to support some of these connections via optional features, but as far as I know the composite VCR output jacks on the current Explorer 8000 DVR have also not yet been activated by Scientific Atlanta themselves - the FAQ posted on their website notes that this will be activated by an upcoming software release, but this has been upcoming as long as I've had my box.

Hence my fear that the DVI/HDCP connection may have the same fate...

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
You're right--I couldn't get to the spec when I posted that. I was thinking of the Motorola DCT-6208, on which both 1394/DTCP and DVI/HDCP are standard (though Comcast is rumored to have special-ordered some without the 1394). Of course, the Motorola has the weakness of having only an 80GB drive.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Descolada
The 1394 connection is indeed one example of a connection that I've never seen activated on a Scientific Atlanta box - I've also seen USB connections that were never activated. I do understand that at some point it's up to the individual cable company to support some of these connections via optional features,...
It's not just up to them to support them, it's up to them to order them to be even wired up. USB has no apparent purpose on a cable STB which has no built-in modem and 1394 connections have been offered on these boxes long before HD--what were they for?
Quote:
...but as far as I know the composite VCR output jacks on the current Explorer 8000 DVR have also not yet been activated by Scientific Atlanta themselves - the FAQ posted on their website notes that this will be activated by an upcoming software release, but this has been upcoming as long as I've had my box.

Hence my fear that the DVI/HDCP connection may have the same fate...
Even if SA comes up with that software, your cable company is under no obligation to download it.

I guess that it's possible that they'll never support DVI.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
"dual IEEE 1394 outputs with 5C copy protection provide a 400-Mbps interconnection each to home consumer devices such as digital televisions"

I like that, it is intended for a display pathway. Even better is the possibility of recording from the televisions built in OTA tuner to the PVR for any locals that are not supported by the cable co.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
Even better is the possibility of recording from the televisions built in OTA tuner to the PVR for any locals that are not supported by the cable co.
I guess that's a possibility, Kipp, but somehow I'm strongly doubting that the PVR will record external content from the Firewrie.

·
Registered
628 Posts
From the SA web site:

"It is currently anticipated that the Explorer 8000HD Home Entertainment server will be available in the December 2003-March 2004 timeframe."

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fcsmith
From the SA web site:

"It is currently anticipated that the Explorer 8000HD Home Entertainment server will be available in the December 2003-March 2004 timeframe."
Damn!

I have been putting off buying a Tivo, an AudioTron , and a new DVD player waiting on this thing! Time for plan B...

·
Registered
754 Posts
I dont know after comparing the spec's between this and the 6208 I'm quite glad that we have a Motorola system here in Washington. I'll be it this has a 160gb hard drive double what is supposed to be in the 6208 but other than that I'd take the 6208 anyday.

I look at it this way to. The 6208 will only have 80GB of HDD but at the same time will be expandable through firewire so the first thing I'm going to do is go out get an external firewire HDD case and a 200GB HDD and voila I've got 280GB of storage space and the capability to swap 200 of it between my HTPC and my STB.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremyfr
I'll be it this has a 160gb hard drive double what is supposed to be in the 6208 but other than that I'd take the 6208 anyday.
The SA 8000HD has two HD tuners compared to the 6208's one ... so you can record two programs at once, record one show while watching another live, etc. A very nice advantage ...

But yes, I agree that Motorola is on to a good thing by using Firewire to support external hard drives. In fact, you shouldn't need to have a 6208 at all ... the 6200 is supposed to support the same thing (just no internal hard drive). Hopefully this will be implemented well and other manufacturers will follow the same lead ... including OTA STBs, cable STBs, DBS STBs, etc. No need for a standalone DVR ... buy any Firewire STB and then whenever you want slap an external hard drive onto the Firewire port ...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.