1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You mention the OPTIONAL copy protection devices, but look at the positives, things people from here have been asking for, simultaneous HD/SD outputs, scale/zoom/stretch and the new closed captioning capability. Looks like Cable might finally get HD things together.

News Release

Release Date: December 3, 2002

Scientific-Atlanta Combines High-Definition With High-Speed Internet in New Explorer 4200HD Set-Top

--New home gateway will be able to receive HD programming in any currently deployed format and will feature an integrated DOCSIS cable modem--

ATLANTA, GA - Cable subscribers who want the quality of HD programming plus fast DOCSIS connectivity will be able to have it all with a single device - the new Explorer® 4200HD home gateway. The versatile digital set-top is designed to receive HDTV programming in any ATSC standard format and communicate with the headend and the Internet through a DOCSIS cable modem, a powerful entertainment and information combination.

The Explorer 4200HD home gateway, scheduled to be available for shipment in December 2002, will have the ability to deliver a broad range of video and communications services in a single device. It will support the full complement of subscriber- and MSO-requested HDTV features and functions, plus it can operate in either a DOCSIS or DAVIC headend environment.

The Explorer 4200HD home gateway will be able to display video at user selectable scan rates of 480i, 480P, 720P, or 1080i out of the HDTV outputs. In addition, the user will be able to stretch and zoom the video picture to maximize the viewable area on HDTV displays and scale HDTV video within the program guide. The Explorer 4200HD home gateway will be capable of simultaneously displaying an HD image while down-converting it to SD via the NTSC outputs. This will allow subscribers to output HD content to their VCRs in SD format. Plus, the Explorer 4200HD complies with the EIA-708 closed captioning specification. The new home gateway will include a USB port, an optional DVI HDTV digital interface with HDCP high-bandwidth digital content protection and an optional IEEE 1394 digital interface with 5C copy protection capability.

In addition, the Explorer 4200HD home gateway, with an internal dual-capable DOCSIS/DAVIC modem and high-performance CPU, graphics and memory interfaces, will deliver digital interactive services such as on-demand TV, Web browsing and t-commerce at rapid speeds. The device can also be utilized to deliver high-speed data to home networks and personal computers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The 4200HD will allow scaling and selection of multiple scan rates...

All it needs would be a hard disk drive...

Still sounds way superior to the 3100HD!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
This is good for cable. It Dish and DirecTV do not come out with STBs that have 1394 connections for HD VCRs there will soon be a large migration to cable when consumers have that choice.

Rick R

·
Registered
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R
This is good for cable. It Dish and DirecTV do not come out with STBs that have 1394 connections for HD VCRs there will soon be a large migration to cable when consumers have that choice.

Rick R
Yes - if the cable companies are smart enough to order the boxes with the optional 1394 connection. I hope my local carrier (TWC) is.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Thanks, Erik. I've added the link to the STB Synopsis.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Anyone know what having a built-in broadband modem might do for you? At the moment I'm using Time Warner Road Runner with a Toshiba modem. My computer operates separately from my RPTV, about 18 feet away.

Guess a RJ-45(?) jack on such a converter could feed any computer just as separate modems do now. But what about giving Internet access on TV screens without a separate computer? I've been considering devising something (a RF keyboard and RPTV/computer link, or a microdisplay on a slip-on headband) so I could view HDTV and access the Internet simultaneously. But not too many reasons for doing this come to mind (perhaps fast lookups of movie details to aid viewing decisions). Perhaps I'm missing 'the big picture' regarding built-in modem value. -- John

·
Registered
351 Posts
I called my local cable company (Cox) yesterday to find out if they would be getting any of the new 4200hd boxes, and also asked what I would need to do to upgrade once they do get them. I talked to a few different people, none of which knew anything about the 4200hd, and couldn't find any info about it at all. The guy told me he would try to look into it, and that I should call back in a week.

Up until Cox started offerring hd content, we have always just used the cable tuner in our television, so I am not totally clear on how it would work if I wanted to upgrade my cable box. Has anyone gone through this process before? About how much will it cost me?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm assuming that the box will only be made available by the cable company, similar to the 3100HD.

I tried calling NYC Time Warner, but they had no info. I also tried to call SA, but got nowhere.

Does anybody know if TWC will be shifting to these boxes?

·
Registered
613 Posts
My guess is that this unit will not have an OTA tuner incorporated in with it. The only point being if your local cable company does not provide the local network digital channels, the unit will only amount to half the solution.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would think that the cable would cover most if not all the OTA channels. Should I be thinking of getting both the OTA And the cable in NYC?

Any news on TWC using these boxes?

·
Registered
613 Posts
TWC in my area has had HD HBO and Sho for about 2 years now. Although the Cleveland network stations are HD, they do not carry them nor do they know when they will.

Check before you order.

Ron

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
skinsfan,

TWC, at least from the southern Manhattan head end, now offers in H/DTV: HBO, CBS, Showtime, NBC, Fox, ABC, UPN, PBS, PBS Kids.

Two of these, NBC and ABC, aren't on the air locally since the 9/11 attack. TWC gets them via fiber feeds. And the two PBS sources are OTA, but the multicast signal is very weak and directed from mid-town NYC to Newark. Few in the region can tune them in.

So, unless your antenna/tuner could pick up stations not already on TWC, it doesn't seem worth getting a tuner. A DirecTV dish would give you HDNet, although one of these days TWC could announce they're adding more HD channels, including HDNet sources.

TWC in NYC recently upgraded to the 3100HD converter. There are now several new Scientific Atlanta boxes available, including the 8000 with dual tuners and hard-drive recording, but haven't heard whether TWC will add any of them. -- John

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the info. Sounds like its probably worth waiting for TWC to add a new box, rather than get the OTA for the interim. The problem with the Sa3100HD is that it won't downconvert to 480P output that I need formy plasma.

I'm hoping they get the 4200 deployed soon. I'll try calling them again in a few days.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There was talk earlier in this forum about a Scientifc-Atlanta 3250HD being released this quarter. Does anyone know if this 4200HD replaces it, or are they still planning on having the 3250HD also?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.