AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have old EDTV with just component connections and using stereo VCR like a hood to watching some local chanels by antenna and have conected PS3 and PS2 by component cable.

Now i got an old Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC wich have HDMI input,

component inputs , S-Video and cable-antenna connections( I don't have original remote for it).

Can i use 8300HDC as a same hood with out any cable service, hoock up on it PS3 (HDMI) , DVD-VCR (Component) , will it work ?

·
Registered
369 Posts
8300HDC will not work without service from cable co.

·
Registered
369 Posts
How old is SA 8300HDC is? I thought those boxes were pretty new (about 1 year old in circulation). If there is any way to unlock it to use with OTA, that's the only way, but I hear they are locked pretty good.

Instead of throwing it in the garbage, I am pretty sure you can sell it on ebay for about $75-$100 depending on condition.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"unlock it to use with OTA" ????

Can you show me some manual for it ?

PS: box itself is 2 year old, with multi-stream cable card in, powered it up, shows some numbers on display.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't have any idea how to achieve that, and I don't think that discussion is allowed here.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You *can not* "unlock" it. There is no "unlock" to it. The box only handles NTSC analog cable and QAM digital cable with SA's encryption layer. It requires registration with cable infrastructure and netbooting from a cable headend system. No matter what you do, no matter how much you screw with that box, it WILL NOT work for OTA recording. End story.

Edit: Oh, and the SA 8300HDC doesn't have HDMI, component, S-Video or any other inputs. It records from one source, and one source *only*. That being cable TV. Also, you should really return that box to where it came from, and if you bought it on eBay or another auction site, try to get your money back. It's likely stolen - I've seen units on eBay with *easily* visible stickers for providers like BHN. Those units are the property of the cable provider. Keeping that unit is stealing, and buying it off eBay is trafficking in stolen property. Just FYI.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey man, my SA 8300HDC have HDMI, component, S-Video and i'm not loocking for record anything or use as recording box, i only wanted to use it like a HOOD to hoock up

my PS3 by HDMI because i got old tv and analog connections show low quality picture.

That's all.

Can i use it like a HOOD ?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOgamer /forum/post/15446747

Can i use it like a HOOD ?

I don't know exactly what you mean by "HOOD", but if you're talking about an HDMI decoder-converter box, then no. Again, the 8300HD/HDC doesn't have an HDMI input. Also, the box is 100% useless without cable service. So, what you're talking about isn't possible with this device.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't know why you think it is stealing? Time Warner Cable clearly indicates that you can keep the box with the charge of $225 per box and $35 or so per remote. Even if the sticker, etc. is there, you can legally own the box. How is it stealing? I don't understand.

There is composite input on the front of the unit, I don't think that works either.

What is a hood?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HOOD i mean use device as a converter for my PS3 and DVD-VCR and so.

My TV isn't equiped by HDMI i when i saw on SA 8300HDC HDMI input i got idea use it for PS3 . TV > SA 8300HDC > PS3 by HDMI

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin /forum/post/15447201

I don't know why you think it is stealing? Time Warner Cable clearly indicates that you can keep the box with the charge of $225 per box and $35 or so per remote. Even if the sticker, etc. is there, you can legally own the box. How is it stealing? I don't understand.

I used to have Time Warner where I lived before. They wouldn't let you buy the boxes. The only time I've seen that (outside of a few small town cable operators) is when they assess you a full purchase price if you don't return their property when you cancel. Besides, even if you *could* buy it - unless you plan on staying with that cable provider until you die, you won't be able to use it forever. No other provider will touch it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOgamer /forum/post/15447887

Man i don't care about any cable company, i need it for PS3 by HDMI connection.

And I've answered your question repeatedly - what you're asking for *will not work*. The box can't do that. 100% impossible.

Can't you just get the video cable for the PS3 to connect via component, S-Video, composite, or something like that? It'd be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOgamer /forum/post/15460155

Thanks, If i 'll supscribe Cable service HDTV recorder box will be free or i need to pay extra for it ?

Maybe is better save it for future when i can get service?

Unless you got it from the cable provider in your area, if you seriously go to them and ask them to activate it, they'll tell you to take a long walk off a short pier.

In short, the box is a brick. It will never be useful to you. Get your money back, or harvest it for parts or something. That's about the only thing you can do.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEOgamer /forum/post/15467584

Will "TiVO 2" work on my TV or it requaires cable service too ?

Er, by this you mean a Series2 TiVo? It won't be able to capture from HDMI (nothing can, at least not directly). The currently generally-available model (the Series2 DT) only works with analog cable and capture via composite/S-Video in. (This was because when it was being designed, mandates had gone into effect about OTA reception devices having to support ATSC, so TiVo left out OTA reception to sidestep that. The Series3, however, does record OTA via NTSC and ATSC.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.