AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember an old scifi movie where a rocket lands on a planet, which is actually alive - the rocket ship gets sucked into some quicksand or something and the astronauts, when they get out, are underground (or under the skin, or whatever) and see giant arteries hanging everywhere as they walk around and explore the living interior of the planet. I can't recall more than that except the planet interior looked reddish (not surprising for a living organism).

I have read descriptions of "Angry Red Planet" and that does not sound like it. In that movie it sounds like they are on the surface being attacked by monsters.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Doesn't ring a bell, but sounds great:)

Nicholas

·
Registered
542 Posts
The closest thing I've seen resembling this is Fantastic Voyage,but it is a miniature submarine and it is not inside a planet,it's inside a human body.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have First Men in the Moon, not that either.

There have been a lot of movies about missions to Mars, to Venus, as well as other planets like Galaxy of Terror etc. where weird things happen. I just don't know which movie it is and the local video places don't stock all those old scifi movies.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I think you are referring to an OUTER LIMITS episode called THE INVISIBLE ENEMY. You can find it by searching The invisible Enemy VHS at Amazon.com. It's also on DVD, season 2. It is B&W so if you remember color it's not the one you are looking for.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for trying, but after reading the description it doesn't sound even close. No underground scenes with giant arteries inside a living planet, in color, which is what I remember.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I know it's not the movie you are asking about, but the central theme of Final Fantasy is the Gaia (living-earth) which is part of some Eastern religions.

I am an afficianado of vintage SciFi "B" movies but that is not one I recall ever seeing. If you can come up with a single actor/actress you can cross-ref through IMDB and get the title pretty quick.

Gary

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since you are an afficionado maybe you can help me with another one: I remember a movie where a bipedal humanoid alien is on Earth for some reason and is naturally harassing the locals. This alien used, for a weapon, what looked like hand-sized 5-tentacled living starfish things which he would throw at people, who would naturally get killed by them. I remember one scene distinctly where some idiot goes after the alien, sees him in a field a hundred yards away, and yells "Alien!" at it like some kind of war cry, at which point he naturally gets starfished to death.

By the way, can you recommend a really good book on monster movies? I am remembering all these obscure movies from my childhood (took me forever to find out some of their unintuitive titles, like Psychomania, and Fiend Without a Face, and especially Medusa vs the Son of Hercules) and would like a comprehensive guide where I could look them all up. The Web is okay if you have some key facts but is not very good for browsing, which is what I need, given my 30+ year old memory of some of these movies.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chuft
Since you are an afficionado maybe you can help me with another one: I remember a movie where a bipedal humanoid alien is on Earth for some reason and is naturally harassing the locals. This alien used, for a weapon, what looked like hand-sized 5-tentacled living starfish things which he would throw at people, who would naturally get killed by them. I remember one scene distinctly where some idiot goes after the alien, sees him in a field a hundred yards away, and yells "Alien!" at it like some kind of war cry, at which point he naturally gets starfished to death.

By the way, can you recommend a really good book on monster movies? I am remembering all these obscure movies from my childhood (took me forever to find out some of their unintuitive titles, like Psychomania, and Fiend Without a Face, and especially Medusa vs the Son of Hercules) and would like a comprehensive guide where I could look them all up. The Web is okay if you have some key facts but is not very good for browsing, which is what I need, given my 30+ year old memory of some of these movies.
Why not just own most of them?
Compilation

·
Registered
6,225 Posts

·
Registered
27,690 Posts
The only movie I can think of where the planet is alive is Solaris (both versions), but your plot description is definitely not the same.

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
I agree with gr8full as I have the double Fantasic Voyage and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on a 2 fer. Fantastic has Raquel Welch *outside* the submarine she gets trapped by white corpuscles that thought she was a virus and attacked her, it also had a 'neato' submarine.

The Second movie sounds like "Krull" who use a five pointed blade to defend himself against the aliens. The planets name was Krull but the aliens castle appeared some where else every day.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I have that same disc.

The scale is totally different. They ride around inside arteries, they don't walk next to them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.