AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some Space eye-candy in the form of something like the original Star Wars movies, or maybe even an astronomy documentary. Any recommendations are welcome!

I'll be using a normal upscaling DVD player, no HD DVD necessary.

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,682 Posts
Check out the thread on the best sci-fi movies and TV shows. Entertainment Weekly's website also lists the best 50 sci-fi movies and shows ever (in their opinion). If real sci rocks your boat, it is hard to beat the From the Earth to the Moon mini-series from HBO. And if you like plot, Contact is good and has some good space scenes from what I recall.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Stargate I think would fit the bill. The movie before the series.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The Forbidden Planet

The Day the Earth Stood Still

and for more recent great fun and eye candy - The Fifth Element

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Lost in space was the reference disc i used to show off my plasma.Amazing picture quality.Not a great movie but you cant beat the visuals

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
The Last Starfighter

Enemy Mine

Red Planet

The Fifth Element

Titan A.E.

Star Trek Wrath of Kahn

..off the top of my head.

Enemy Mine is AWESOME.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brennan /forum/post/0

Starship Troopers has a good look and some big scenes, especially the shots where the Humans are attacking the bug planet from orbit.

It's a pretty good picture too, works on various levels.

First DVD I ever purchased. Heck its the reason I own a DVD player. Seconded.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brennan /forum/post/0

Starship Troopers has a good look and some big scenes, especially the shots where the Humans are attacking the bug planet from orbit.

It's a pretty good picture too, works on various levels.

Funny, but for me that movie really went downhill once the actual fighting started. What I really enjoyed were the early scenes, particularly the training and life at the academy.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/0

Funny, but for me that movie really went downhill once the actual fighting started. What I really enjoyed were the early scenes, particularly the training and life at the academy.

It is one of the most violent scenes I've ever seen, that's for sure.

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,682 Posts
Starship Troopers can be fun but I have never liked the fact that the movie was made as an over-the-top farce. It would have been a much better movie if made the way the story was written in the book (but they lacked the budget for that). It could be done now, but I assume no one will be remaking this movie for some time.

Serenity is a great suggestion, though as suggested, it is probably much better if you watch the TV series first. "Titan A.E." is good eye and ear candy if a bit lacking in plot. "Treasure Planet" is much better on plot and a worthwhile space adventure if you don't mind it being a remake of the well known book.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnilsson /forum/post/0

Starship Troopers can be fun but I have never liked the fact that the movie was made as an over-the-top farce. It would have been a much better movie if made the way the story was written in the book (but they lacked the budget for that). It could be done now, but I assume no one will be remaking this movie for some time.

Agreed. This was yet another case of turning a classic novel into a merely decent movie. Several SciFi books would make great movies if they were done right. (I would particularly like to see a proper treatment of Rendezvous with Rama.)

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
The "NEW" Battlestar Galactica series is very well done.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.