AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody watching this? It looks very, very good. Lots of vibrant colors. Great looking transfer, IMO.

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
I watched for a few minutes- when my brain starting seeping out of my ears I changed the channel.

Even Rowan Atkinson couldn't save this dog.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
I watched for a few minutes- when my brain starting seeping out of my ears I changed the channel.

Even Rowan Atkinson couldn't save this dog.
I agree, no academy award nominations here. But, I did find it enjoyable in a very campy off-the-wall way-- and I was never a "Scooby-Doo" fan. It was just mindless entertainment but it looked great with excellent colors.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bocktar
It looks absolutely beautiful.
i agree 100%!!

EDIT: on my 38" RCA

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
actualy i totaly dissagree.

EXTREMELY grainy. in dark sceenes almost unbearable. why do they do such scoddy work on these new transfers????

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nakedeye
actualy i totaly dissagree.

EXTREMELY grainy. in dark sceenes almost unbearable. why do they do such scoddy work on these new transfers????
Didn't notice any grain - it looked absolutely beautiful.

Kirill

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Count me in with nakedeye. After seeing this thread last night, I checked it out and I also thought it was very grainy in the 10 minutes of mostly dark scenes I watched. And my set has been recently calibrated.

I switched over to Legally Blonde and that looked outstanding. We have the Scooby Doo DVD (children) and I didn't think the HD showing was much of a step up from that excellent reproduction. In fact, the DVD has much less grain.

As for the movie itself, no it's not great, but I found myself having some good belly laughs during it. Plus, Velma and Daphne - enough said. And does Freddy Prinze Jr. have a clause in all his contracts that states Matthew Lillard must be in every movie he does? ;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I didn't notice any grain either (watched on a Dwin Transvision2 projector on a 100" wide screen via D*), but I wasn't really paying rapt attention.

Pretty nice CG, but the script seemed like WB had some monkeys throw crap at a wall and the screenwriter just copied down anything that looked like alpha-numeric characters in the residue. I won't even get into the casting.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Thanks imdoug for posting your display device.

Anyone making comments regarding how they perceive picture quality should list their display device because each technology will have an effect on how the image appears. For instance those with a direct-view TV or CRT based FP/RP most likely would not see this grain while those with Digital projectors will if its there.

Also if using a high gain screen with a FP system that will also amplify any noise in the image.

·
Registered
18,925 Posts
I thought it looked good on my CRT based 16:9 30" Panasonic DT-M3050W.:p Certainly the colors were good- I guess they meant the film to have a psychadelic-trippy look.

On that subject, what really threw me were the blatant drug references in a film meant for kids- I know there were rumours that things in the original show were sort of framed that way, but I was (and still am) oblivious to them, and seeing them in the movie really turned me off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger

Anyone making comments regarding how they perceive picture quality should list their display device because each technology will have an effect on how the image appears.
Good point. I was watching on a 40" Sony XBR800 Direct View from a distance of about 8 feet.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger

Anyone making comments regarding how they perceive picture quality should list their display device because each technology will have an effect on how the image appears. For instance those with a direct-view TV or CRT based FP/RP most likely would not see this grain while those with Digital projectors will if its there.
I don't think so. A good CRT shows grain quite clearly.

A digital projector will show it too if it has enough

resolution but depending on

the type add an additional level of digital artifacts

on top of the grain.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Very impressive on my Sony direct view 34XBR800 with my C-Band feed from T-7 Ch 118. Of course having your sharpness correctly set helps.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I posted my initial commments the color and sharpness of the movie reallly stood out, as I continued to watch the movie I did notice the grain especially in the dark scenes. The grain however wasn't that "Alias" type bad grain. I thought the grain in Scooby-Doo gave the movie a more film-like look.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm viewing on a 47" ISF Calibrated RPTV from about 8' away.

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFister
Very impressive on my Sony direct view 34XBR800 with my C-Band feed from T-7 Ch 118. Of course having your sharpness correctly set helps.
What do you have your sharpness set at?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
What do you have your sharpness set at?
I have mine 13 from the left and found even the analog to look quite stunning on C-band with this TV.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.