AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard of good things about the sony wega but I can't call myself very knowledgable about these tvs, are there any other brands/models I should be looking out for? I'm looking for a really nice CRT, HDTV 1080i, size I guess would be 20-36" (depth is what matters I guess). I have plenty of LCDs but I'm tired of their quirks and would like to have a CRT in my bedroom until OLED matures to the point where I can buy it.

I was socuring craiglist and I've found some 36" tvs, one needs a new power switch relay and wasn't sure if it'd be worth it to pick it up or not (assuming I could fix it). Another tv had unstable picture and video input problems, both tvs were free.

How difficult is it to find a really good widescreen CRT tv?

·
Registered
564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku2100 /forum/post/12944781

I've heard of good things about the sony wega but I can't call myself very knowledgable about these tvs, are there any other brands/models I should be looking out for? I'm looking for a really nice CRT, HDTV 1080i, size I guess would be 20-36" (depth is what matters I guess). I have plenty of LCDs but I'm tired of their quirks and would like to have a CRT in my bedroom until OLED matures to the point where I can buy it.

I was socuring craiglist and I've found some 36" tvs, one needs a new power switch relay and wasn't sure if it'd be worth it to pick it up or not (assuming I could fix it). Another tv had unstable picture and video input problems, both tvs were free.

How difficult is it to find a really good widescreen CRT tv?

it's very easy if you live in or near a big city, etc.

here in the San Fran bay area it's a friggin Smorgasboard flood of XBRs.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/s...ony%20tv%20xbr

·
Registered
836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan /forum/post/12948203

The best CRT you can find is the Sony XBR series. The XBR960 is the best, followed closely by the XBR970, XBR910, and XS955.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan /forum/post/12948203

Any reason why there are so many in the bay area? (I live in alamo)

I was considering using a high end CRT computer monitor as my TV instead of buying a dedicated tv, would this be a wise decision? The reason I ask is because the XBR960 uses an upscaling chip while most computer monitors are multisync so I'd think a multisync would be preferrable. Also I don't really need such a large screen but I do want lots of resolution. So if I could get the super pitch with the supposedly "awesome colors" and contrast etc etc. of the XBR960, I'd be happy with that.

btw did they ever make a widescreen CRT computer monitor?

·
Registered
564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku2100 /forum/post/12951044

Any reason why there are so many in the bay area? (I live in alamo)

I was considering using a high end CRT computer monitor as my TV instead of buying a dedicated tv, would this be a wise decision? The reason I ask is because the XBR960 uses an upscaling chip while most computer monitors are multisync so I'd think a multisync would be preferrable. Also I don't really need such a large screen but I do want lots of resolution. So if I could get the super pitch with the supposedly "awesome colors" and contrast etc etc. of the XBR960, I'd be happy with that.

btw did they ever make a widescreen CRT computer monitor?

yes but I have never used it or know about it.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GDM-FW900.../dp/B00004YNSR

your only about 5 or 6 miles farther from San Francisco than me so you should think about the trip over the bridge and Craigslist if you need a wide screen snag a 34XBR960, XBR970, XBR910. they are still a bit pricey so you could get a 4:3 36XBR450 or 400 they are HD and cheep $100 to 250 and list just about everyday. there are at least two 400s for only $150.

and if you don't mind 4:3 you should consider the big bad ass 40" XBR!

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku2100 /forum/post/12951044

I was considering using a high end CRT computer monitor as my TV instead of buying a dedicated tv, would this be a wise decision?

Nope. Not unless you only play games. Have you ever tried using a TV as a monitor? Even on an HD set text isn't legible. There's more to it than just resolution.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmcfall /forum/post/12965600

Nope. Not unless you only play games. Have you ever tried using a TV as a monitor? Even on an HD set text isn't legible. There's more to it than just resolution.

You misread it (as did WJonathan). The question was about using a computer monitor as a TV, not using a TV as a computer monitor.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The OP was asking if he could use a CRT computer monitor as a TV not a HDTV as a computer monitor. I dunno the answer to that. That is why he was asking if there is such a thing as a 16:9 computer monitor.

I did see a 16:9 Sony CRT monitor for sale on craigslist a while back when I was shopping for a bigger CRT for my computer. I have only seen one and he was asking a lot of money for it. I shot him an email offering $400 but never heard back.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M /forum/post/12965868

You misread it (as did WJonathan). The question was about using a computer monitor as a TV, not using a TV as a computer monitor.

Thanks for being the reply analyst.
He asked two different questions; I was responding to the first.

As far as a monitor as a TV, how will you get the signal to it? VGA is digital, whereas most TV signals cables are analog. You'd have to make sure the monitor plugs match up with the cable box. OTA is out of the question, because monitors don't have a tuner, so you'd have to buy a box.

Sony made a widescreen Trinitron monitor that rocked, but they were discontinued a few years ago. They were brutally heavy. Around $2500 originally, but you might get lucky and grab one for $100. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GDM-FW900.../dp/B00004YNSR

·
Registered
285 Posts
I got my RCA F38310 from sfbay.craigslist last year.. seems to be one for sale every month or two... it's probably not the best, but it's the biggest, don't think anyone else made a 38" widescreen crt hdtv...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/12966498

Thanks for being the reply analyst.
He asked two different questions; I was responding to the first.

As far as a monitor as a TV, how will you get the signal to it? VGA is digital, whereas most TV signals cables are analog. You'd have to make sure the monitor plugs match up with the cable box. OTA is out of the question, because monitors don't have a tuner, so you'd have to buy a box.

VGA is analog (RGB). You would need a component to VGA converter if you wanted to use a cable box.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M /forum/post/12973544

VGA is analog (RGB). You would need a component to VGA converter if you wanted to use a cable box.

But if the cable box had VGA out, then I'd probably be set, amirite? I was just curious if there were any good Composite+S-Video+Component to VGA/DVI boxes out there. I'd be using my receiver as a switcher anyways so I don't think this would be too much of an issue. I'd be tempted to use my computer as the intermediary but since it has input/ouput lag, it wouldn't be very good for playing games with it.

How sophisticated the the circuitry in a CRT TV to convert the Component/S-video/Composite picture into the standard RGB picture? (I mean that is what TVs use internally, right? RGB?)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku2100 /forum/post/12985069

But if the cable box had VGA out, then I'd probably be set, amirite?

Assuming the aspect ratio of the monitor matches that expected by the box, then probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku2100 /forum/post/12985069

How sophisticated the the circuitry in a CRT TV to convert the Component/S-video/Composite picture into the standard RGB picture? (I mean that is what TVs use internally, right? RGB?)

Yes. If you're talking about an HD TV, it's complicated, because the display scan rate may be different from the input scan rate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts