AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2-year-old showed off her major league baseball arm by throwing a magic princess wand (!) about ten feet right at my plasma television. She's got accuracy too as it hit just below dead center.

The resulting scratch/chip (not sure which it would be characterized as) is about 4mm horizontal and 2mm vertical. On a 42" screen, it's not terrible and can only be seen (appearing as though it's dirt) on the rare situations when the screen is completely white or light coloured. I'm not sure how deep the scratch goes but I can definitely feel it when I run my finger over it which suggests its deeper than just the surface.

I've searched the forums and online for some definitive answers to the two questions below but haven't had much luck getting conclusive results. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated:

1. With the nature of plasma screens going from cold when OFF to quite warm when ON, is it likely that this type of scratch/chip would expand or worsen? In other words, is it worthwhile to bring in a professional to have a look?

2. Are there any DIY products on the market or home recipes that are proven to remove these types of blemishes without damaging the screen or making it worse?

Incidentally, the television is an HP PL4260N that I've had for three years.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I don't have any experience with fixing these types of things, so I can't be of any help on that.

If you have homeowners insurance, it will cover up to the replacement cost of your set minus whatever deductible you have. If it can't be fixed, or it gets worse, you could find yourself getting a new set for the cost of your deductible.

Damage done by the policyholder to their own stuff is covered, and most policies are for replacement cost so no depreciation is taken.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thought on this. This is a good consideration but I'd also hate to have my insurance costs go up in coming years on accord of making a claim for such a small item. If it was to get worse and unusable, I'd consider this.

As an update for anyone who might go searching for this information and end up here: I spoke to a good repair shop that I know and they told me that the exterior of this particular unit is not the panel itself but a protective/anti-glare screen so there is no likelihood of eventual damage to the unit.

Their advice was that I don't try any DIY method and that I just leave it as is.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by connmen /forum/post/17035356

I spoke to a good repair shop that I know and they told me that the exterior of this particular unit is not the panel itself but a protective/anti-glare screen so there is no likelihood of eventual damage to the unit. Their advice was that I don't try any DIY method and that I just leave it as is.

I agree with their advice. That TV does have a protective outer glass and it has a very thin anti-reflective film applied to it which was gouged. It's not likely that it actually scratched the glass below the film. If you attempt to buff it or smooth it out etc that will just cause more damage to the surrounding area that might be even more visible than the scratch is. Just be glad that it has that outer glass - some other brands do not and that wand would have scratched or maybe even cracked the actual plasma panel itself.

The cost to replace that outer glass is probably more than the price of a shiny new TC-P42X1, if the replacement glass is even available anymore.

Just leave it alone and try not to focus on it

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by connmen /forum/post/17035356

Thanks for the thought on this. This is a good consideration but I'd also hate to have my insurance costs go up in coming years on accord of making a claim for such a small item. If it was to get worse and unusable, I'd consider this.

As an update for anyone who might go searching for this information and end up here: I spoke to a good repair shop that I know and they told me that the exterior of this particular unit is not the panel itself but a protective/anti-glare screen so there is no likelihood of eventual damage to the unit.

Their advice was that I don't try any DIY method and that I just leave it as is.

Keep in mind that homeowners insurance is different than car insurance with regard to bumping up rates based on claims.

Most companies don't ding you for making a claim on homeowners.

If this bugs you to the point that you can't live with it, check with your insurance company about what impact making this type of claim would have on your rates. You might be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
Insurance companies do raise rates if claims are significant. 6 years ago a hail storm damaged my roof. About $6000 in damage. The insurance rate almost doubled for 3 years. 3 years is the magic number, as you are placed on a blacklist for that time period, and it's almost impossible to switch carriers, unless you agree to pay a high risk premium. Granted, the doubling of the premium I paid for 3 years was still far less than $6000 in damages the insurance company paid out to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.