·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson
Looks like a deflection burn.

NOTHING can be done about it except to live with it or change the tube.

CJ
Hmmm, what is a deflection burn? :confused:

If I put a new tube in will the circuitery do this to it too ?

Thanks for the reply :)

-Rajiv

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude
Hmmm, what is a deflection burn? :confused:

If I put a new tube in will the circuitery do this to it too ?

Thanks for the reply :)

-Rajiv
Horizontal deflection circuitry moves the electron beam left and right as it paints an image on the phosphor surface.

Vertical deflection circuitry moves the electron beam up and down as it paints an image on the phosphor surface.

Deflection burn: If one of these circuits fails, the the electron beam collapses to the middle causing a very bright line in the middle of the tube causing burn-in very quickly. Failure in vertical deflection would cause a horizontal line in the middle of the tube. Failure in horizontal deflection would cause a vertical line in the middle of the tube.

If you put in a new tube without fixing the horiz/vert circuitry that caused the problem then it may just happen again.

Though I don't think it's deflection burn. It's uneven, there are 2 lines, they're not centered on the tube, and they're on an angle!

Kal

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks,

Right now the pj is putting out a proper image so I guess if there was a problem someone fixed it. I want to find out if there WAS such a problem before putting in a new tube. I do not want the new tube to be burnt again.

I see some kind of repairs made on the big board. Are they related to a deflection board problem? Please see the board here:

http://www.neilmehra.com/rajiv/repairs.JPG

Please note that it is a Sony 1270

Thanks again

Rajiv

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude
Ok thanks,

Right now the pj is putting out a proper image so I guess if there was a problem someone fixed it. I want to find out if there WAS such a problem before putting in a new tube. I do not want the new tube to be burnt again.

I see some kind of repairs made on the big board. Are they related to a deflection board problem? Please see the board here:

http://www.neilmehra.com/rajiv/repairs.JPG

Please note that it is a Sony 1270

Thanks again

Rajiv
They look like the standard Sony "upgrades" to the boards - NEC does it as well.

It's good to see that Japanese companies can't get their acts together either - mine sure can't... :)

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Those are factory mods as Mark says. What you want to do is run the orignal tube for about 100 hours to make sure there's no intermittent problem. If the set works fine, then swap out the tube with another one.. if you can find a good one. THey are getting hard to find out there.

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply Curt, I was writing a e-mail to you about this right now. :)

Looks like I might need a green tube too. Anyone has one?

Just how difficult are these tubes to replace?

Is there a "how to replace" type thread out here or somewhere else?

-Rajiv

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.