AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have a Samsung Tantus 27" HDTV. I got a deep 2 inch scratch on it while moving. I was told by the place I bought it from that I could remove it with rubbing compound......... BIG mistake. I didn't know then that the screen has a tint on it. I now have a two inch by four inch patch that has no tint. It is brighter than the rest of the screen by a little bit. So, I could have lived with the scratch.. but now the screen looks even worse. My question would be if it would be possible to re-tint the screen somehow with some sort of coating. I called glass tinting places and theoretically they could do it, but the tinting process takes water (TV's and water don't mix). If it's not possible to re-tint it, theoretically I could un-tint the whole screen (although it would take hours and be hard to get it all one brightness), but this might cause more harm than good... I can also replace the whole tube, but according to the TV repair places the tube is like $570 not counting labor. The TV was like $1,200 or so when I bought it. Any suggestions? I'm crying for my poor TV right now.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Do you have house or apartment insurance?

If you give them a call, make up something that it was an accident and they will pay for new screen more than likely.

Read your insurance policy over really good, I did and I got my $5,000 Electric scooter that was hit from behind from a uninsured driver outside of my apartment on a public street fixed. Insurance company sent me a check for $1,495 to have it repaired.

Just one question again do you have house or apartment insurance, if so get something back from what you paid in. It's not just for catostopic fires, someone stole my bicyle which was parked ouside on my inside apartment the insurance company paid me back fully! :) Have a nice weekend

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I do have renters insurance, but I'm not too sure that they'll cover this type of thing without a horrendous deductible. I still have to call them, but I'm guessing this unfortunatly won't be a solution. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Were you able to remove the scratch/gouge with the rubbing compound?

I have tried to match paint like this before and it is very difficult, so I think you are faced with removing all the tinting. You may want to try some nasty chemical on it, like MEK. But be careful since these chemicals can melt plastic, which is what you want on the tinting, but not on the bezel.

Then see how you like it. It may be okay just that way. It may even be better since you are going to make the whole picture brighter. Downside is that reflection may be bad, the reason the tint is sprayed on in the first place.

Finding and putting tinting on can also be problematic, but I don't think impossible. Spraying, of course. Any good with spray cans (provided you can get it)?

Or, you could try finding some lightly tinted Mylar. Check out this link:
http://www.harrison-ae.com/profile.html

scroll down to The History

Or, if you can find auto tinting film that is light enough, you could try using that. You could remove it if it doesn't work out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I might end up removing all the tint at this point. I unfortunatly don't have the money to be spending on replacing the whole tube right now (or getting a different set), as I'm not too sure what's happening with my work.. for all I know I could be laid off in a week.. so I'm playing it safe :).

·
Registered
144 Posts
I feel your pain.

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. I chipped my TV screen while moving (it fell from a dolly). I also posted here asking for help and so far have not found a way to fix it. I am also unsure as to if Renters Insurance would cover it.

Hopefully someone will see this post and clarify these issues for us.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like there are several people that are wondering if their renters insurance would cover this. I'm guessing the best way to find out would be to call their insurance company (which I'm doing tomorrow), but if any has had any experience working with their insurance companies on issues just like what has been talked about here, it would be useful.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Q & A said he was going to check with his, but I guess he chickened out.

Since the insurance companies are trying to find ways to pay for 9/11, I am guessing they are not feeling charitable about now.

Allstate (for example) is cranking up their homeowners/renters rates anywhere from 3-25% all over the country. My rural county is getting a 3% increase, but the next county over (where my wife is making noises she want to move since it would be closer to her work) is getting a 17% increase. Yikes!

And if you have State Farm, like I do, don't think you dodged the bullet. Those two watch each other like hawks and their prices move in tandem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.