AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i just recently bought this projector last week at best buy for 549 as an open box with 14 hours lamp time on it. I have set it up and it seems to be working good except that when i look at the lens (or the circle thing) while the projector is on and i see scratches on the screen/lens, its like huge scratches where its like all over it, but when it is projected on my wall its is clear and the scratches didn't affect it.

What do you guys think about that? Should I return it and look for another projector like Optoma HD65/66 for $650?

Thank You

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you can find an HD65 for $399 at bestbuy then yes return the hc1600.. Theres a thread regarding people finding them at best buy for that much.. I've had both PJ and really preferred the HD65 in terms of PQ but had to get rid of it because it was just too noisy for me.. I have the HC1600 now and its a great PJ as well.. If you can't find an HD65 keep the HC1600 as long as the scratch doesn't hurt the viewing pleasure..

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That's actually not all that uncommon. I've seen several brand new projectors with scratches on the lenses. If it doesn't affect PQ I wouldn't worry about it.

However, I agree with jay squared - if they have an HD65 for that price I'd return the HC1600 in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm amazed at just how scratched a lens can become before it noticably makes big changes to a projectors image.

Additionally, I third the recommendation for the HD65 if you can find one. If you can't, enjoy the HC1600.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for the feedback, well my local best buy has it on clearance brand new for the same price, they wouldnt lower it to the 399.99

since its at the same price, should i swap it???

or is there a way to clean up the scratches on the lens such as wiping it? cuz i haven't done that yet since i didn't want to ruin it

·
Registered
329 Posts
If the HD65 wasn't noisy I would've kept it over the the HC1600 because out of the box the HD65 had a great picture.... HC1600 is still a great PJ though... Its up to you which PJ you would prefer... HD65 white, smaller and lighter but noisier.. Hc1600 black, bigger but quiter plus you get 100 lumens which I believe makes no difference at all..

·
Registered
4,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTNN /forum/post/18296258

is there a way to clean up the scratches on the lens such as wiping it? cuz i haven't done that yet since i didn't want to ruin it

If you can clean the lens with lens cleaner and lens tissue, then they aren't scratches! And it's possible that's the case--my brand-new Mits had a very ugly scratch-looking thing on the lens and it cleaned right off.

The reason you don't see it onscreen of course is that while scratches & dirt block some light, it's too little to affect the picture, and it's way out of the plane-of-focus (so that's ALL it would do, is block light).

BTW those lenses are extraordinarily hard and scratch-resistant. I'd give cleaning a try, especially if the pj is otherwise perfect.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Keep the HC1600 and try cleaning the lens with a damp (use lens cleaning alcohol that evaporates without residue-from your local camera dealer) lens cloth. I suspect some employee or original user tried to wipe off finger prints with their shirt sleeve and scratched the lens. Not to worry, though. The focused image is formed before it exits the lens, so the worst you will see is some light diffusion around the image edges. But it will be so slight, you won't notice unless you are a real fanatic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts