AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just ordered an Epson 3200 (8100 in the States). It's the 1600 lumen 25000:1 model.

My room has wood floors and nearly white walls and ceiling, about 5m by 4m.

Windows are blacked out but I'm still seeing a very washed out image with poor black levels. I'm projecting from the back wall directly onto the front wall.

The cheap pull-down Optoma 1.0 gain screen seems to make no difference to image quality.

Basically I want to know how to improve the quality of my image.

Repainting all the walls and ceiling darker is not an option, though I will have a black curtain covering one side wall completely.

My first impulse was to upgrade to the 8700UB (4400 in uk) or a JVC rs40.

But I am reading lots of conflicting and overly generalized information about what to focus on. The place I bought the pj from are not exactly scientists!

Could anyone 'shed some light' (cough) on what would give the best results?

I'm thinking:

a.) spend another £1000 on a projector with better contrast and paint a sheet of mdf light grey, maybe adding movable or removable masking for different aspect ratios.

b.) keep the 3200 and spend up to £1000 on something like a Dalite Hi Power Grey screen. I dont care much about off-axis performance. I'm flexible with pj placement. Since the right wall will be black material maybe having the pj on the left would be a good idea? As close to the screen as possible or does that matter? It's more convenient at the back.

I may also paint the wall I'm projecting onto a dark grey colour in addition to the screen, whether DIY or purchased. Perhaps that would help perceived contrast and reflection.

Phew, a lot of information there. Hopefully some wise and experienced cinephile can offer me some advice!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have the Epson 8100 with light brown walls and carpet. I am projecting onto a 110" electric AccuScreen that has a 1.0 gain from a little over 4 meters. Behind the screen I have black curtains hung and they make a huge difference. I would try that first for a relatively modest cost compared to spending a lot more on a screen or projector upgrade. What mode are you operating the projector? You might try the theater black 1 mode or one of the other modes available to see if they help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts